Would like some opinions on how I can keep my privacy

Would like some opinions on how I can keep my privacy

Member since 2025 · 43 posts · 8 votes

Recently bought a property through a land trust for privacy concerns. I decided to renovate after a tenant moved out. The electricity has turned off and the utility company is asking for invasive personal info (say what you want, but it is invasive). I offered to put down a large deposit upfront so they don't have to worry about lending me electricity. They don't want to do this. I imagine they'll sell the data, which is why I'm trying to avoid having my name tied to the property. I'm not looking for data privacy opinions - just ones on how I can set up an account with the utility company without giving up my personal information.

I tried creating an EIN for the trust, but they asked for the actual trust document. I'm of course not going to give that to them. What are my options? I'd prefer to avoid setting up an LLC as I only have 1 property. Was considering trying to sign up as a sole proprietorship combo'd with a DBA, but I'm not sure if they would ask for identification like the trust. My goal is to be as simple as possible and not create an LLC for this.

0Reply
39 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Northeast PA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    @Stan J., agreed, I wouldn't provide them with the actual trust docs either.  

    Try giving them an "AFFIDAVIT OF TRUST' which outlines the parameters of the trust and names the Trustee and their responsibilities, without naming any beneficiaries.  

    I use the same affidavit (mine are notarized and recorded) to give to the title company when we're closing a trust property--works for them. 

    Good luck.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    1y

    Have a friend neighbor co-worker relative sign a lease for $1 and get electricity in their name?


    Ps. I have to ask. What did you mean by “Lending you electricity”? Are you running a solar farm?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.