Cracking down on dog poop in back yard
I have a two-flat in Chicago with 2 tenants, each with a dog (one big and one small). I charge a pet fee and allow them to use the backyard with the understanding that poops get promptly picked up.
As you might guess, that's not happening in one case. When I mow each week, I often find many big poops, often sitting in the open. (I know it's a particular tenant because the other tenant's dog is too small to leave this mess and because the other tenant has complained about this problem.)
Wouldn't want to evict for this, but I am committed to my yard being useable by all tenants at all times, so I need to crack down and know what the process is for fully enforcing this rule, especially given how tenant-friendly Chicago is.
Just curious what people think based on their experience:
1. If the lease says no pooping allowed and poops are repeatedly left behind, what is the process in Chicago to use this as grounds for eviction?
2. Is there a particular number of incidents and attempts at corrective actions I would need to document? Are text messages enough for documenting them?
3. Once the required chances to correct the problem have been given, would I just issue a 10 day notice saying they'd violated the lease?
4. Since a 10 day notice includes the option of the tenant to "cure" the problem, is there anything I have do do differently do avoid doing it over and over? Can a 10 day notice note that previous attempts at curing the problem have failed and therefore no cure is available anymore?
5. Does the fact that there are 2 dogs present complicate things much? Can I cite my impression and complaints by the other tentant to establish whose dog is at fault, or can they just deny that their dog did it and I am then stuck with a he-said/she-said situation? (I have personally observed their dog going to the bathroom unattended in the yard, so I can speak to observing this behavior at least once.)
Thanks in advance.