Cracking down on dog poop in back yard

Cracking down on dog poop in back yard

Svend W.Pro Member
Member since 2018 · 78 posts · 31 votes

I have a two-flat in Chicago with 2 tenants, each with a dog (one big and one small). I charge a pet fee and allow them to use the backyard with the understanding that poops get promptly picked up.

As you might guess, that's not happening in one case. When I mow each week, I often find many big poops, often sitting in the open. (I know it's a particular tenant because the other tenant's dog is too small to leave this mess and because the other tenant has complained about this problem.)

Wouldn't want to evict for this, but I am committed to my yard being useable by all tenants at all times, so I need to crack down and know what the process is for fully enforcing this rule, especially given how tenant-friendly Chicago is.

Just curious what people think based on their experience:

1. If the lease says no pooping allowed and poops are repeatedly left behind, what is the process in Chicago to use this as grounds for eviction?

2. Is there a particular number of incidents and attempts at corrective actions I would need to document? Are text messages enough for documenting them?

3. Once the required chances to correct the problem have been given, would I just issue a 10 day notice saying they'd violated the lease?

4. Since a 10 day notice includes the option of the tenant to "cure" the problem, is there anything I have do do differently do avoid doing it over and over? Can a 10 day notice note that previous attempts at curing the problem have failed and therefore no cure is available anymore?

5. Does the fact that there are 2 dogs present complicate things much? Can I cite my impression and complaints by the other tentant to establish whose dog is at fault, or can they just deny that their dog did it and I am then stuck with a he-said/she-said situation?  (I have personally observed their dog going to the bathroom unattended in the yard, so I can speak to observing this behavior at least once.)

Thanks in advance.

2Reply
402 views

Most Popular Reply

Ricardo R.Pro Member
Property Manager · Michigan Ctr, MI · Member since 2016 · 663 posts · 581 votes
1y

We run a management company here in the Midwest and, believe me, dog poop issues come up more than you’d think—so you’re not alone. Here’s how we handle it so things stay fair, enforceable, and don’t turn into a giant headache:

________________________________________

1. Start with documentation (photos + written record)

We snap a quick photo any time we find the mess and save it with a date/time stamp. We also send a polite email or text right away reminding the tenant of their responsibility and keep that message saved.

• Texts are fine, but emails look better if it ever goes to court because they’re easier to organize.

2. Issue a clear written warning before notices

Chicago’s tenant laws want to see you gave the tenant a fair chance to fix things before getting serious.

• We send a written warning first: “This is a lease violation. Future incidents may lead to formal notices and possible termination.”

• We give them specific dates and attach the photos so there’s no confusion.

3. Use a 10-day notice if it continues

If the mess continues, then yes—a 10-day “cure or quit” notice is next.

• This gives the tenant one last chance to fix things.

• If they clean up and stop, you can’t evict over past incidents—but repeated violations mean new notices, and judges usually side with landlords if there’s a documented pattern.

4. How many times before it’s “enough”?

We’ve found 3–4 documented incidents is plenty to show a pattern if it comes to that. Judges want to see you gave the tenant a fair shot, but they also respect a landlord’s right to a clean, safe property.

5. Avoid the “he said, she said” problem

If you’ve personally seen the dog or have photos and complaints from the other tenant, that’s usually enough. We note:

• Date/time of the violation

• Photo evidence

• Who reported it

That way it’s not just your word against theirs.

6. Our “middle ground” solution

Before court, we add a pet addendum with fines: $25–$50 per incident for cleanup costs. It usually stops the problem fast without getting attorneys involved.

7. For future leases

We now include clauses that say repeat violations after a cure notice = lease termination. It keeps us from having to start the process over each time.

@Svend W. I hope this helps I'll send you a DM hope you can assist. 

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ricardo R.Pro Member
    Property Manager · Michigan Ctr, MI · Member since 2016 · 663 posts · 581 votes
    1y

    We run a management company here in the Midwest and, believe me, dog poop issues come up more than you’d think—so you’re not alone. Here’s how we handle it so things stay fair, enforceable, and don’t turn into a giant headache:

    ________________________________________

    1. Start with documentation (photos + written record)

    We snap a quick photo any time we find the mess and save it with a date/time stamp. We also send a polite email or text right away reminding the tenant of their responsibility and keep that message saved.

    • Texts are fine, but emails look better if it ever goes to court because they’re easier to organize.

    2. Issue a clear written warning before notices

    Chicago’s tenant laws want to see you gave the tenant a fair chance to fix things before getting serious.

    • We send a written warning first: “This is a lease violation. Future incidents may lead to formal notices and possible termination.”

    • We give them specific dates and attach the photos so there’s no confusion.

    3. Use a 10-day notice if it continues

    If the mess continues, then yes—a 10-day “cure or quit” notice is next.

    • This gives the tenant one last chance to fix things.

    • If they clean up and stop, you can’t evict over past incidents—but repeated violations mean new notices, and judges usually side with landlords if there’s a documented pattern.

    4. How many times before it’s “enough”?

    We’ve found 3–4 documented incidents is plenty to show a pattern if it comes to that. Judges want to see you gave the tenant a fair shot, but they also respect a landlord’s right to a clean, safe property.

    5. Avoid the “he said, she said” problem

    If you’ve personally seen the dog or have photos and complaints from the other tenant, that’s usually enough. We note:

    • Date/time of the violation

    • Photo evidence

    • Who reported it

    That way it’s not just your word against theirs.

    6. Our “middle ground” solution

    Before court, we add a pet addendum with fines: $25–$50 per incident for cleanup costs. It usually stops the problem fast without getting attorneys involved.

    7. For future leases

    We now include clauses that say repeat violations after a cure notice = lease termination. It keeps us from having to start the process over each time.

    @Svend W. I hope this helps I'll send you a DM hope you can assist. 

    • Svend W.Pro Member
      OP
      Member since 2018 · 78 posts · 31 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Ricardo R.:

      We run a management company here in the Midwest and, believe me, dog poop issues come up more than you’d think—so you’re not alone. Here’s how we handle it so things stay fair, enforceable, and don’t turn into a giant headache:

      ________________________________________

      1. Start with documentation (photos + written record)

      We snap a quick photo any time we find the mess and save it with a date/time stamp. We also send a polite email or text right away reminding the tenant of their responsibility and keep that message saved.

      • Texts are fine, but emails look better if it ever goes to court because they’re easier to organize.

      2. Issue a clear written warning before notices

      Chicago’s tenant laws want to see you gave the tenant a fair chance to fix things before getting serious.

      • We send a written warning first: “This is a lease violation. Future incidents may lead to formal notices and possible termination.”

      • We give them specific dates and attach the photos so there’s no confusion.

      3. Use a 10-day notice if it continues

      If the mess continues, then yes—a 10-day “cure or quit” notice is next.

      • This gives the tenant one last chance to fix things.

      • If they clean up and stop, you can’t evict over past incidents—but repeated violations mean new notices, and judges usually side with landlords if there’s a documented pattern.

      4. How many times before it’s “enough”?

      We’ve found 3–4 documented incidents is plenty to show a pattern if it comes to that. Judges want to see you gave the tenant a fair shot, but they also respect a landlord’s right to a clean, safe property.

      5. Avoid the “he said, she said” problem

      If you’ve personally seen the dog or have photos and complaints from the other tenant, that’s usually enough. We note:

      • Date/time of the violation

      • Photo evidence

      • Who reported it

      That way it’s not just your word against theirs.

      6. Our “middle ground” solution

      Before court, we add a pet addendum with fines: $25–$50 per incident for cleanup costs. It usually stops the problem fast without getting attorneys involved.

      7. For future leases

      We now include clauses that say repeat violations after a cure notice = lease termination. It keeps us from having to start the process over each time.

      @Svend W. I hope this helps I'll send you a DM hope you can assist. 

      Thanks so much, Ricardo. This is extremely helpful!

      In the past I have texted him on several occasions times letting him know that the state of the yard was unacceptable and he acknowledged that he needed to do better, but I don't have the incidents well documented with dates pictures, etc. I didn't want to make things more adversarial, but I guess that was a mistake. 

      I'm mainly trying to figure out what my process needs to to have a credible deterrent. I'm sure they'll get whipped into shape once they see I'm documenting things properly for an eviction if that's needed.

      Thanks.



      P.S. Some comic relief: I had put a medium sized trash barrel in the yard, which I made clear was only for small odds and ends (i.e., not for dog poop bags). Well, the tenant I'm complaining about not only threw his poops in it but filled it ENTIRELY with 'em. When I noticed this and tried to remove the trash bag, it split from the weight and released a huge flood of nasty liquid, almost getting on me. Stank up the place like nobody's business for a few days. Had to suit up like hazmat guy to clean that up. That was fun.

  • Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
    Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Is not renewing their lease an option? 

    What conversations have you already had with the resident? 

    • Svend W.Pro Member
      OP
      Member since 2018 · 78 posts · 31 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Aaron Zimmerman:

      Is not renewing their lease an option? 

      What conversations have you already had with the resident? 

      It is an option since he's month to month now, but I'd like to avoid it. 

      I've told him several times that there was a problem. I had said I didn't mind picking one or two up occasionally that get overlooked, but no more.

      I am leaning towards switching to a zero-poop policy in the new lease and putting him on notice that I will be enforcing it strictly.

      Thanks.
    • Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
      Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1y

      @Svend W. Got it. I've had residents like this before and I've been a little too passive in the past. Personally, I'd look to get them out March 31st  or April 30th, get someone else in there , and then go on about my days.

      I hope you find a good resolution that everyone can be happy about.

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Be a boss and be firm. Tell him the law and mean it!!! Ricardo is spot on.

  • Ricardo R.Pro Member
    Property Manager · Michigan Ctr, MI · Member since 2016 · 663 posts · 581 votes
    1y

    @Svend W.,

    Oh man… the trash can story just made me gag a little reading it. I’ve had some bad tenant moments, but a poop tsunami in the backyard might be a new one. Sounds like you handled it like a champ, though—hazmat suit and all.

    And yeah, I hear you on not wanting to make things adversarial. None of us get into rentals thinking we’ll end up photographing dog piles for evidence. But for Chicago’s tenant-friendly setup, the paper trail really is your best friend. Once they see you’re documenting dates, photos, and sending formal notices, it almost always flips the power dynamic—they realize you’re serious, and most tenants get it together before you even have to think about eviction.

    If it were me, here’s what I’d do now:

    1. Start fresh from today. Make the next incident “Day 1” and document it with date/time and a quick pic.

    2. Send one clear written warning with photos if it happens again. “This is a lease violation; continued issues will result in formal notices.”

    3. After that, the 10-day notice comes out if they keep it up—judges like seeing you gave them fair warning first.

    I’d bet money you won’t have to go past step two once they realize there’s a paper trail leading to court if needed.

    And maybe… retire the trash barrel idea :) 

    • Svend W.Pro Member
      OP
      Member since 2018 · 78 posts · 31 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Ricardo R.:

      @Svend W.,

      Oh man… the trash can story just made me gag a little reading it. I’ve had some bad tenant moments, but a poop tsunami in the backyard might be a new one. Sounds like you handled it like a champ, though—hazmat suit and all.

      And yeah, I hear you on not wanting to make things adversarial. None of us get into rentals thinking we’ll end up photographing dog piles for evidence. But for Chicago’s tenant-friendly setup, the paper trail really is your best friend. Once they see you’re documenting dates, photos, and sending formal notices, it almost always flips the power dynamic—they realize you’re serious, and most tenants get it together before you even have to think about eviction.

      If it were me, here’s what I’d do now:

      1. Start fresh from today. Make the next incident “Day 1” and document it with date/time and a quick pic.

      2. Send one clear written warning with photos if it happens again. “This is a lease violation; continued issues will result in formal notices.”

      3. After that, the 10-day notice comes out if they keep it up—judges like seeing you gave them fair warning first.

      I’d bet money you won’t have to go past step two once they realize there’s a paper trail leading to court if needed.

      And maybe… retire the trash barrel idea :) 

       
      Thanks again, Ricardo. 

      Yeah, I've been too indulgent, partly because I've been really busy. 

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    Just putting up cameras is a wonderful deterrent. It magically stopped the dog poo problem at one of my properties. My lease also allows me to fine tenants for dog poo and unpaid fines are paid before rent so failure to pay fines can result in an eviction for non-payment of rent. The fact that there are two dogs would not stop me from fining the party I deemed guilty based on reasonable criteria.

  • Rental Property Investor · Somewhere over the Rainbow · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    If it was me, I'd just run over the $hit with the mower and not worry about it 

    That's actually what I do at my house - too many dogs, too many poos - I drop the mower to 1" and vacuum up that poo with the mower. Then grass clippings (and poos) go straight to the compost. Compost sits for about a year then goes to the garden. 

    I'd personally just charge them for the poo - if the mowing is on a schedule, just make sure all poos are picked up by that time/day. When you show up to mow, survey the properties for those evil poos - pictures, document the # of poos, and charge the tenant based on the size & number of poos correlating to their animal. Bring a tape measure to slap down next to the poos for scale for evidence. Lawncare companies charge for extra clean-up, so I'd just implement the same strategy here. 

    Since the tenant is on a month to month lease, it should be easy to just add a form to the next month. If they don't sign, just don't renew the lease. 

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    1y

    @Svend W. my main takeaway is that you are cutting the lawn! I would hire a landscaper and ignore this.... we have tenants that have dogs poop in the yard, etc. Charge pet rent and move on is my thought. 

    • Svend W.Pro Member
      OP
      Member since 2018 · 78 posts · 31 votes
      1y
      Quote from @John Warren:

      @Svend W. my main takeaway is that you are cutting the lawn! I would hire a landscaper and ignore this.... we have tenants that have dogs poop in the yard, etc. Charge pet rent and move on is my thought. 

      Yes, I'm thinking of doing that.  My wife has been lobbying for this for a while lol.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    @Svend W. my brother hoses it into his lawn but I'm not a fan of this method. Have a no tolerance and fine policy saying 1 or 2 is fine was a bad start. You can forgive 1 or 2 without saying you will.    A lawn company won't solve the issue because the pickup tenant will continue to complain. The first step would be what Ricardo said, plus a lease revision with fines, and a clause reserving the right to install cameras if needed.  But it is Chicago so not sure what you can do.

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    Wow too funny @Svend W. I had the exact same issue at one of my Chicago properties in Bucktown.

    I ended up sending a notice to the tenants via email and told them that it's a violation of the least to not pick up of their pet.  That seems to have solved the problem for now but I love Ricardo's answer.

    I also asked them no to let there dog in the back to go to the bath room and that they should walk the dog.

    @Mark Ainley how do you all handle these issues?

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Svend W.

    I agree with @John Warren. It would be best to outsource this to a landscaper.

    We've had issues with tenants leaving their dog's poop in the yard, so our landscaper charged us for that. Since we were repeatedly getting charged for this, we passed the cost along to our tenants. And what do you know? The tenants stopped leaving dog poop in the yard. People respond to incentives.

  • Svend W.Pro Member
    OP
    Member since 2018 · 78 posts · 31 votes
    1y

    Thanks, all, for the great suggestions.

    I think I will install a few cameras, too. 

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2013 · 120 posts · 77 votes
    1y

    Any time you’re too passive with tenants it usually bites you in the rear end.smh I would hold my self accountable for allowing it to get to this point. However I would start building my case not to renew their lease when the time is ready. And if I were to renew their lease I would definitely charge considerably more for the upkeep of the yard. Good luck. 

  • Mark AinleyBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Roselle, IL (Chicago Suburb) · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Svend W. that is a funny story and be even better if you had cameras which is one of the options you have.  

    Option 1 - order up a simply safe camera and put it back there and tell them..put poop _____ and only there or else we will have issues. You will now be on tape. 

    Option 2 - don’t allow dogs in the back yard and make them use front door and walk them down the street.  Many owners do this.  Maybe at renewal write that in if they want to stay.  

    Option 2.1 - not sure size of yard but typically back yards are minimal and you can remove grass and add in combo of patio and small strip of turf. This will allow you to not have to mow. We had a guy on podcast that is his business in chicago to go around and remove grass. 

    Option 3 - they have dog poop tests that you can send in and you can get crazy and test poop…or simply buy the test show them next poop you find you will test it. 

    You can follow the law of the lease and 10 day but you will never evict off that and you don’t want to not renew anyone if they pay.  You just need to make it clear you are smarter than them.

    Thanks for the tag @Jonathan Klemm  

  • Svend W.Pro Member
    OP
    Member since 2018 · 78 posts · 31 votes
    1y

    Thanks @Mark Ainley. Wow, didn't realize you could go full "CSI" with dog poop. 

    That's an interesting suggestion about replacing the grass. I imagine that investment pays for itself pretty quick.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1y

    Charge them for you cleaning up the mess.

    Suggest you call a dog service and find out how much theyld charge, get bid in writing and then you charge the same amount.

    Make sure your lease allows you to do this.

    Turn a negative into positive cashflow!

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    Dog crap attracts rats . Put your foot down and charge them .  Cleanup of Hazmat and disposal $50 per pile . 

    When we had a large dog it was my kids job to pick it up , he did and put it in a 5 gallon bucket , he did that for a week , then it rained .  Told him to go dump the chit soup far  back in the woods , he tripped on his way . ..............................I laughed for a good while 

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    That's exactly what I told my tenants @Matthew Paul!  Dog poops attracts rats - do you want rats to get inside the property?  We already have a rat problem in Chicago - no need to make it worse!

    I honestly don't get why someone would not pick up dog poop in their own yard - just lazy and sad in my opinion.

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    1y

    @svend 

    @Svend W.I am not against doing work on a building I own, but I think if you do higher value tasks it makes more sense. For instance, if you know how to maintain your own boiler or how to do some plumbing you are at least saving yourself $150 an hour. For landscaping, you can get someone for roughly $20-30 an hour to cut the lawn (and it is a tax write off where your time is not). 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    10mo
    Quote from @Svend W.:

    I have a two-flat in Chicago with 2 tenants, each with a dog (one big and one small). I charge a pet fee and allow them to use the backyard with the understanding that poops get promptly picked up.

    As you might guess, that's not happening in one case. When I mow each week, I often find many big poops, often sitting in the open. (I know it's a particular tenant because the other tenant's dog is too small to leave this mess and because the other tenant has complained about this problem.)

    Wouldn't want to evict for this, but I am committed to my yard being useable by all tenants at all times, so I need to crack down and know what the process is for fully enforcing this rule, especially given how tenant-friendly Chicago is.

    Just curious what people think based on their experience:

    1. If the lease says no pooping allowed and poops are repeatedly left behind, what is the process in Chicago to use this as grounds for eviction?

    2. Is there a particular number of incidents and attempts at corrective actions I would need to document? Are text messages enough for documenting them?

    3. Once the required chances to correct the problem have been given, would I just issue a 10 day notice saying they'd violated the lease?

    4. Since a 10 day notice includes the option of the tenant to "cure" the problem, is there anything I have do do differently do avoid doing it over and over? Can a 10 day notice note that previous attempts at curing the problem have failed and therefore no cure is available anymore?

    5. Does the fact that there are 2 dogs present complicate things much? Can I cite my impression and complaints by the other tentant to establish whose dog is at fault, or can they just deny that their dog did it and I am then stuck with a he-said/she-said situation?  (I have personally observed their dog going to the bathroom unattended in the yard, so I can speak to observing this behavior at least once.)

    Thanks in advance.


     Put the Poo in their washing machine.

  • Svend W.Pro Member
    OP
    Member since 2018 · 78 posts · 31 votes
    9mo

    An update on this ridiculous saga: 

    As if the nasty poop shenanigans weren't enough, we had a scary incident where their dog bit another tenant *in the face* as he protected his own dog. The dog had been left unattended in the back yard and immediately went after their dog when they came out for a walk. Thankfully, the person's injuries were superficial.

    They will be out at the end of January.

    Don't enjoy meeting prospective tenants in the dead of winter, but it will definitely be a great relief to be rid of these individuals. 

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9mo

    @Svend W. glad you are getting them out sorry it had to come with a bite. Next time I am sure you will be less tolerant I think. Thanks for the update.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.