Any HCV (Sec 8) Landlords In Rochester NY Here???

Any HCV (Sec 8) Landlords In Rochester NY Here???

Member since 2024 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hello,

I am looking for anyone who has experience dealing with the HCV program (Sec 8) and the housing authority in Rochester NY. 

For the past year I have been gearing up to purchase some duplexes (8 doors total over the next 2-3 years max) in the City of Rochester with the intent of working with the HCV program. 

I am very familiar with the program in my home city and state (Seattle Wa) and how they operate which I am finding very different than how it goes in Rochester NY. 

 I have been in contact with the Rochester HCV program staff trying to get some answers from them but I never get clear/realistic answers or two people give me very different answers on the same question.

So I am reaching out to hopefully find some folks who have real life experience dealing with the HVC program on the ground in Rochester NY with thier own rentals to see if I can get some answers that way. 

Thanks... 

0Reply
53 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Rochester, NY · Member since 2020 · 148 posts · 28 votes
    10mo

    Hi, I do! Feel free to message me to discuss it!

  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 576 posts · 358 votes
    9mo

    Several years ago I had one section 8 rental in Rochester. It was a great experience as far as the tenant experience went. She was a great person. A single mom with a fantastic work ethic who increased her earned income each year. After three years she earned enough to no longer be eligible for section 8 and she saved some money for a down payment, qualified for a mortgage, and bought the house from me. She was one in a million, I think. Section 8 paid dependably. In my opinion, the section 8 inspections are a little too strict. I spent a lot of money on their nit-picky requirements. Something always needed to be painted, doors re-aligned so they would latch. Time and money that was not in the budget. A house for section 8 needs to be in good repair and pretty much maintenance free or else you'll be doing a lot of repairs and maintenance to stay in compliance.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.