Pontoon boat rentals with property

Most Popular Reply

Stuart UdisPro Member
Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
9mo

Most states have a boating license requirement. How do you verify the licensing and ensure only licensed individuals drive the boat? This screams liability exposure. Perhaps as an alternative contract with someone local who is licensed to drive the boat and charge an extra "excursion" fee for boat related activities. 

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    9mo
    Quote from @Maria McCambridge:

    We’re considering renting a pontoon boat with our property but are nervous about the potential risk and liability. Any tips, pros, cons?

    Get appropriate boat rental insurance, have a lawyer approved rental agreement. 

    Is someone going to verify the pontoon is clean and full of gas and fix it when its not after each rental?

    There are multiple websites that allow you to rent your boat through them and provide boat insurance during the rental. You could require them to rent the boat there and only allow boat rental at the same time they rent the house.
    • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 1 vote
      9mo
      Quote from @John Underwood:
      Quote from @Maria McCambridge:

      We’re considering renting a pontoon boat with our property but are nervous about the potential risk and liability. Any tips, pros, cons?

      Get appropriate boat rental insurance, have a lawyer approved rental agreement. 

      Is someone going to verify the pontoon is clean and full of gas and fix it when its not after each rental?

      There are multiple websites that allow you to rent your boat through them and provide boat insurance during the rental. You could require them to rent the boat there and only allow boat rental at the same time they rent the house.
      Thank you for the advice, John!
      I’ll look into it.
      We don’t have someone to check on it once the rent is up so a 3rd party company sounds more convenient and safe. 
    • John UnderwoodPro Member
      Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Maria McCambridge:
      Quote from @John Underwood:
      Quote from @Maria McCambridge:

      We’re considering renting a pontoon boat with our property but are nervous about the potential risk and liability. Any tips, pros, cons?

      Get appropriate boat rental insurance, have a lawyer approved rental agreement. 

      Is someone going to verify the pontoon is clean and full of gas and fix it when its not after each rental?

      There are multiple websites that allow you to rent your boat through them and provide boat insurance during the rental. You could require them to rent the boat there and only allow boat rental at the same time they rent the house.
      Thank you for the advice, John!
      I’ll look into it.
      We don’t have someone to check on it once the rent is up so a 3rd party company sounds more convenient and safe. 

       Or pay your cleaners extra to check on it?

      Take it out of boat deposit if not clean and full of gas.

  • Stuart UdisPro Member
    Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9mo

    Most states have a boating license requirement. How do you verify the licensing and ensure only licensed individuals drive the boat? This screams liability exposure. Perhaps as an alternative contract with someone local who is licensed to drive the boat and charge an extra "excursion" fee for boat related activities. 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    9mo

    Put boat keys in a lockbox.

    Do you have a covered boat slip? or do you intend to have a boat cover that people are responsible for putting on and taking off?

    I'd have a camera where you can remotely monotor the dock and boat so you know when someone has it out.

    Ring has a new 4k cameras that get power over a ethernet cable. I am excited about trying these out.

    Do you have a neighbor that you could pay to check on the boat and make sure its clean and gassed up?

    Are you going to leave out roped and tunes to pull people on?

    You definitely need to leave out life jackets.

    Maybe require people to bring life jackets for small children so that they fit properly and you aren't liable if a child slipped out of a too big life jacket?

    We have a lake house too and I have thought about all this.

  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    9mo

    I think you are right to be nervous about the very high potential risk and liability, not to mention the boat being damaged and having to deal with recoupment. I like Stuart's idea of offering a guided excursion option, or perhaps there is a local boat rental company nearby that you can refer guests to and partner with somehow that is already setup with proper insurance etc. Personally I would not want random people driving my boat, there are too many things that can go wrong with boats IMO, they can be temperamental, people can be clueless about them, and repairs can be expensive. I wouldn't want my personal boat to be treated like a rental.  

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    9mo

    Go on you tube and look up  " bonehead boaters of the week "

    B.O.A.T.   stands for , bust out another thousand .  $$$

    If you think maintaining a rental property comes with headaches , and people complain about the costs contractors charge . Imagine the potential problems with a boat and add on what a mechanic charges . 

    I have a 24 ft center console with a 150 yamaha . I have had boats on and off most of my adult life . Nothing is cheap . 

    Imaging Joe who lives in the city , never operated a boat , goes out with his family on a nice warm day , has a few beers ,  what could possibly go wrong ?   

    • Dan H.Pro Member
      Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Matthew Paul:

      Go on you tube and look up  " bonehead boaters of the week "

      B.O.A.T.   stands for , bust out another thousand .  $$$

      If you think maintaining a rental property comes with headaches , and people complain about the costs contractors charge . Imagine the potential problems with a boat and add on what a mechanic charges . 

      I have a 24 ft center console with a 150 yamaha . I have had boats on and off most of my adult life . Nothing is cheap . 

      Imaging Joe who lives in the city , never operated a boat , goes out with his family on a nice warm day , has a few beers ,  what could possibly go wrong ?   

       We had a partner on a large boat (32’ Penn yan)  once.   Every time he took it out something needed repair.   I finally went out with him driving the boat.  My brother and I saved a boat collision.   It explained some of why it seemed the boat always needed work after his use.  

      I realize pontoon boats are slow, but they are also slow to stop, slow to turn, slow to get out of the way.   Hit anything can cause damage,   

      I currently have two smaller towable boats.   A week ago a trailer hub went.   It may have been past maintenance.   Boats need a lot of maintenance and trailers also need some maintenance as I got the hard lesson last week.

      In Ca we now have boat license required (none was required when I had the pen yan) but it does not include any skills test (it is online, you watch a segment then take a test on that segment).  not sure of which states now require a boat license.

      I question if the reward justifies risk and effort.

      Good luck

    • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Dan H.:
      Quote from @Matthew Paul:

      Go on you tube and look up  " bonehead boaters of the week "

      B.O.A.T.   stands for , bust out another thousand .  $$$

      If you think maintaining a rental property comes with headaches , and people complain about the costs contractors charge . Imagine the potential problems with a boat and add on what a mechanic charges . 

      I have a 24 ft center console with a 150 yamaha . I have had boats on and off most of my adult life . Nothing is cheap . 

      Imaging Joe who lives in the city , never operated a boat , goes out with his family on a nice warm day , has a few beers ,  what could possibly go wrong ?   

       We had a partner on a large boat (32’ Penn yan)  once.   Every time he took it out something needed repair.   I finally went out with him driving the boat.  My brother and I saved a boat collision.   It explained some of why it seemed the boat always needed work after his use.  

      I realize pontoon boats are slow, but they are also slow to stop, slow to turn, slow to get out of the way.   Hit anything can cause damage,   

      I currently have two smaller towable boats.   A week ago a trailer hub went.   It may have been past maintenance.   Boats need a lot of maintenance and trailers also need some maintenance as I got the hard lesson last week.

      In Ca we now have boat license required (none was required when I had the pen yan) but it does not include any skills test (it is online, you watch a segment then take a test on that segment).  not sure of which states now require a boat license.

      I question if the reward justifies risk and effort.

      Good luck


       Pontoons are only slow with a small engine .  Been on one that did 60 mph 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.