I inherited a tenant back when I bought my house 3 years ago. The tenant is part of a project Independence program where the lease is with Catholic charities and the person living there is the subtenant. Over the past few years I had no issues. The rent is always in the mail before the first of the month. However this last month the charity said due to funding being changed around they might not be able to sign a new lease. They said they'd continue the current rent until they got a decision from the fed gov on where they are allocating the funds. However I'm concerned about having to evict the family. Has anyone rented to catholic charities before and had issues ?
I inherited a tenant back when I bought my house 3 years ago. The tenant is part of a project Independence program where the lease is with Catholic charities and the person living there is the subtenant. Over the past few years I had no issues. The rent is always in the mail before the first of the month. However this last month the charity said due to funding being changed around they might not be able to sign a new lease. They said they'd continue the current rent until they got a decision from the fed gov on where they are allocating the funds. However I'm concerned about having to evict the family. Has anyone rented to catholic charities before and had issues ?
Hello Daniela,
Glad to hear the experience has been good for you thus far and sorry to hear that their funding is being changed.
We have rented to catholic charities in the past but never had any issues. That said, they are issuing you a warning and I think its time to begin planning for the next steps.
1. I'd have a conversation with the tenant to find out how they plan to pay the rent should funding discontinue.
If they plan on paying 100% of the rent out of pocket, they need to show you proof of income, credit report, etc. Screen them as if you were screening a new tenant.
If they plan on obtaining a voucher from another program (i.e. Fheps, Section 8, etc.), have them provide you with proof of their assistance application(s) and/or voucher.
2. I'd speak with a landlord/tenant attorney to prepare for the possibility of an eviction. They should be able to advise on whether or not to sign a new lease with the tenant. From my experience, most attorneys would advise against signing a new lease and just have them on a month-to-month.
All the best!
Abel
I inherited a tenant back when I bought my house 3 years ago. The tenant is part of a project Independence program where the lease is with Catholic charities and the person living there is the subtenant. Over the past few years I had no issues. The rent is always in the mail before the first of the month. However this last month the charity said due to funding being changed around they might not be able to sign a new lease. They said they'd continue the current rent until they got a decision from the fed gov on where they are allocating the funds. However I'm concerned about having to evict the family. Has anyone rented to catholic charities before and had issues ?
Hello Daniela,
Glad to hear the experience has been good for you thus far and sorry to hear that their funding is being changed.
We have rented to catholic charities in the past but never had any issues. That said, they are issuing you a warning and I think its time to begin planning for the next steps.
1. I'd have a conversation with the tenant to find out how they plan to pay the rent should funding discontinue.
If they plan on paying 100% of the rent out of pocket, they need to show you proof of income, credit report, etc. Screen them as if you were screening a new tenant.
If they plan on obtaining a voucher from another program (i.e. Fheps, Section 8, etc.), have them provide you with proof of their assistance application(s) and/or voucher.
2. I'd speak with a landlord/tenant attorney to prepare for the possibility of an eviction. They should be able to advise on whether or not to sign a new lease with the tenant. From my experience, most attorneys would advise against signing a new lease and just have them on a month-to-month.
All the best!
Abel
@Abel Curiel Thanks yes unfortunately after 4 years with no issues this is the first month they missed a payment. And aren’t answering calls or giving me any insight which is weird for a charity of this size. The subtenant definitely can’t afford to live here on their own. Catholic charities had said they would likely try and find them other housing when we spoke months ago and I asked about this possible scenario. Unsure of what’s next
Daniela, your concern is valid. When a third party is the leaseholder, continued payment is a good sign but uncertainty around lease renewal and funding is a risk. I would recommend getting everything in writing and timeline for a decision and confirming your rights if funding is discontinued. Many landlords have had positive experiences with similar programs but clarity on next steps and exit options is critical to avoid the possibility of an eviction.
Yes, many landlords have rented to Catholic Charities and similar nonprofits, and when funding is stable, they’re usually very reliable payers. The issue you’re running into isn’t the tenant or even the charity’s intent, it’s funding uncertainty, which changes the risk profile.
A few key points to consider:
1. Your tenant is not actually your tenant
Your lease is with Catholic Charities. The family is a subtenant. That distinction matters because if funding stops, your contractual counterparty is the nonprofit, not the family.
2. Verbal assurances are not protection
“They’ll keep paying until funding is decided” is well-intentioned, but without a written amendment or extension, you’re exposed. Nonprofits can and do pause payments when grant money gets delayed or reallocated.
3. Eviction dynamics in NY are slow and political
In New York, if this goes sideways, removing a family tied to a charitable or government program can be lengthy, expensive, and emotionally charged, even if you’re legally in the right.
4. Best next step: formalize, don’t guess
Before the current lease expires, request one of the following in writing:
A short-term lease extension (60–90 days) signed by Catholic Charities
Or a written guarantee of rent payments during the funding decision period
If they can’t commit to either, that’s a signal, not an answer.
5. This is not about being heartless
You’re not evicting anyone today. You’re deciding whether to carry open-ended financial risk for an organization whose funding you don’t control.
Rule of thumb:
If the leaseholder can’t commit contractually, you should not be committing emotionally or financially.
Many landlords have had good experiences with Catholic Charities.
The problems arise specifically during funding transitions, not during normal operations.
Get clarity in writing now. It protects you and gives the family more certainty than silence does.