Fake OCD tenant. What to do to prevent system abuse

Fake OCD tenant. What to do to prevent system abuse

Neptune, NJ · Member since 2014 · 116 posts · 51 votes

Long story short. Very good REI friend has a neighbor whom claims to have OCD. This person now receives SSDI and has access to a slew of FREE esq's because of this disability. After some research it has been found out the family of this gentleman are all in the medical field (DR's Nurses and etc) that vouch for him and use this person to twist a system around that was meant to help those with disabilities to one that abuses the system for Money. The family has sued countless town, county, state governments and people claiming they were wronged because of his disability. Funny this person with the disability has interests (financial) in some local establishments (large) that now there family has taken control of through power of attorneys. My friends property value is becoming destroyed because of the neglect to this home but he is afraid to do anything because of a potential lawsuit. On the other hand we had a woman whom had OCD die in a house fire recently in our town because firefighters could not get to her because of all the stored crap inside her home. PS the firefighters and PD risked there lives trying to save her. Lastly, this OCD male was followed (yes he drives) and was video taped acting very normal when in an environment that his family members were around. HOW does my friend expose this person and get his house back. This person has at least 3 other homes. One that was torn down because of neglect and debris (lawsuits flying all over the place) One rebuilt because of neglect then he sued the contractors that repaired it. and now a third to which everyone is throwing there hands up in the neighborhood.

0Reply
50 views

Most Popular Reply

Campobello, SC · Member since 2013 · 25 posts · 5 votes
12y

Overturning a diagnosis will not happen, it does not work that way. Concern for the persons welfare is probably only solution from a legal/medical view. Buy the person out or move.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Campobello, SC · Member since 2013 · 25 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    Overturning a diagnosis will not happen, it does not work that way. Concern for the persons welfare is probably only solution from a legal/medical view. Buy the person out or move.

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    I second what @John Mimms says.

    OCD is a mental health disorder and can be quite disabling. Clinical hoarding disorder is a type of OCD. Mental illness affects many people and their families. I know. My sister has bipolar disorder, OCD, and hoarding disorder. She has a heart of gold and struggles daily and suffers severely from her mental health condition. She worked successfully for more than 20 years as an RN, until her illnesses overpowered her. She works hard to get the mental health treatment she needs. There are times when I need to step in to help her. I help her keep the outside of her house looking good for the neighborhood. The inside is a disaster. Most people in the community would not know she has these mental health conditions.

    @Account Closed Be careful what you assume.

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @Account Closed As to the condition of the houses that are in severe substandard condition. It is likely city code violations are occurring. If it is really as bad as you portray, report the properties to the code enforcement team and fire department for that jurisdiction. Let them do their work. If no action or results? Then, bring it to the media.

  • Neptune, NJ · Member since 2014 · 116 posts · 51 votes
    12y

    So strange. I suggested those exact same ideas to my friend and they (the town) and its officials do not want anything to do with the issue as they are embroiled in so many suits with him. Just found out other towns where he has properties is same thing.

  • Neptune, NJ · Member since 2014 · 116 posts · 51 votes
    12y

    As a once/current student of psychology (industrial) I am also familiar with the disorder at many levels. History of this family re corruption sadly is now coming to light. Sadly our society believes just because a name has letters after it we should bow down. This family of PHD's, MD's and RN's has been embroiled in hundreds of millions of dollars in Medicare/aid fraud in the past. So yes I agree "be careful" of assumptions that said I do believe history repeats itself. In the mean time my friend is held hostage (to include his neighbors).

  • Jean BolgerPro Member
    Aurora, CO · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Your friend should open a dialog with the family members that are POAs for this person and discuss their issues and the family's responsibilities about the upkeep of the property. However, I strongly suggest they do NOT open the discussion with "you're a bunch of of conniving scumbags who are gaming the system". ;)

    This story is likely more complicated, and less sinister, than you are assuming. (Mental disabilities are real, and most people with mental disabilities are not walking around in straight jackets drooling on themselves, BTW... ) It's hard for the family members in some of these cases- they want to help, but it's not always possible (or desirable from a therapeutic standpoint) to take over someones life for them.

    But if your friend voices his concern about the property they may step up and hire a yard service company or something like that.

  • Jean BolgerPro Member
    Aurora, CO · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    OK, we were posting at the same time- and you may have valid reasons for suspecting the family. I still find it hard to believe that someone who was not having mental issues would willingly live in squalor for the small sum that a disability check would consist of. I would stand by my advice to open a dialog with the family. If you don't you'll never know if it could have improved matters.

  • Neptune, NJ · Member since 2014 · 116 posts · 51 votes
    12y

    I agree someone would not live in a small squalor like condition UNLESS. This person has been followed to their professional siblings homes to which they allowed them to stay at there million dollar water front estate homes "most/some of the time". Again I agree with you about mental illness in which those that are truly effected and are truly disabled deserve assistance and compassion. I am liking this to those that have handicap placards on their car and are not handicapped but use it any way to get a better parking spot. Abuse of a system designed to offer assistance to those truly in need.

  • Neptune, NJ · Member since 2014 · 116 posts · 51 votes
    12y

    Again if I lived next door to this person I would initially be very compassionate. I f I felt someone was abusing a system and I went to the authorities and got the response my friend did I do not know what I would do after finding out all he did.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    HOW does my friend expose this person and get his house back.

    I'm confused. What do you mean by "get his house back"? Is the OCD person a tenant of your friend, or a neighbor of your friend. Nobody has taken your friend's house, have they?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.