Real Estate Broker · Northeast PA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
1d
An owner dealing directly with tenants - when the tenants know you're the owner - is a major learning/shocking experience for most new investors. Put your property title in an LLC or Trust so you don't have to lie when saying "I just manage the property for the owner."
"I'll have to check with the (LLC) or (Trustee) and get back to you" is such a stress reliever, and gives you a moment to catch your breath regarding an unusual, extreme, or hostile request.
Virtual Assistant · Member since 2026 · 24 posts · 3 votes
1d
That's an interesting point. Direct tenant communication can definitely become stressful when an owner is trying to handle everything personally, especially when an unusual or difficult situation comes up.
I think having a clear communication process and documented escalation procedure can help keep those situations from becoming overwhelming. At what point do you think an investor should start delegating tenant communication or day-to-day property administration?
Real Estate Agent · Memphis · Member since 2026 · 563 posts · 327 votes
1d
Vendor coordination would be high on the list. It sounds simple until one repair turns into finding the vendor, coordinating with the tenant, scheduling access, following up, and then handling the invoice. Multiply that across a few properties and it can eat up a surprising amount of time.
Virtual Assistant · Member since 2026 · 24 posts · 3 votes
1d
I agree. Vendor coordination can look simple from the outside, but there are several moving parts once you factor in the tenant, vendor availability, access, follow-up, and invoicing. And like you said, the workload can multiply quickly as the number of properties increases.
I'm curious, for investors managing several properties, do you think the biggest time saver would be having one person coordinate the entire process from the initial maintenance request through completion and invoice tracking?
Investor · San Francisco · Member since 2026 · 26 posts · 14 votes
1d
Five single-family homes, all self-managed, and I have not hit the hire-a-PM point yet. But I can tell you exactly what broke first: vendor coordination. One repair means finding the vendor, scheduling with the tenant, following up, then checking the invoice against the work. That loop eats an evening per incident, and two incidents in one week while you have a day job is what makes you google property managers at midnight.
For me the line is not a property count, it is response time. The day a tenant waits 48 hours for a non-emergency fix because I was buried at work, that is the day the math changes. Until then, the fix that bought me the most time was systematizing the small stuff: templated tenant messages, one folder per property for every receipt and invoice, and a standing relationship with one plumber and one handyman so I am not cold-calling during a leak.
If I outsourced one thing tomorrow it would be maintenance dispatch, not rent collection. Rent collection is five minutes with ACH. Dispatch is where the hours go.
Virtual Assistant · Member since 2026 · 24 posts · 3 votes
1d
This is really helpful, Ming. Your point about the “response time” being the real threshold rather than simply the number of properties makes a lot of sense. I also agree that maintenance dispatch has many more moving parts than rent collection.
The workflow you described finding the right vendor, coordinating access with the tenant, following up, and checking the invoice is exactly the kind of process that seems easy until you're trying to do it around a full-time job.
Out of curiosity, how are you currently tracking those maintenance requests from the initial tenant message through vendor completion and invoice? Is it all in one system, or are you using a combination of texts, email and spreadsheets?
Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
13h
I’ve been investing for 16 years. It was slow at the beginning, but then sped up in 2015. I got an assistant in 2016 and that was a game changer for me. I realized I needed an assistant when I was doing $20 tasks for my properties when I was making $100 an hour as a therapist. I realized it was just easier for me to work a few more hours as a therapist each month so that I could pay for an assistant to take care of a lot of the lower cost tasks, and my assistant could often do it better than me.
The next hire is a Bookkeeper. I would say once you’re at five to ten properties and you have a full-time job, then you’ll want to hire an assistant part-time, and then switch that role to full-time as you start to add more and more properties to your portfolio. And I would say once you have about 10 or more properties you’ll want to get a Bookkeeper. So really, your cash flow for the first 10 to 20 properties is going to go to paying for an assistant and a Bookkeeper. But if you have a decent job that pays you enough, you don’t need to live off of the cash flow for your properties so you’re able to focus on building wealth through appreciation and debt pay down and you’re able to use the cash flow to sustain the properties and the operations.
Virtual Assistant · Member since 2026 · 24 posts · 3 votes
12h
This is really helpful, especially the point about the opportunity cost of doing low-value tasks yourself. I think that's something a lot of investors overlook—the question isn't only “Can I do this myself?” but “Is this the best use of my time?”
I also like the progression you described from a part-time assistant to a full-time assistant and eventually bookkeeping support as the portfolio grows. It makes sense to build the administrative infrastructure alongside the portfolio rather than waiting until everything becomes overwhelming.
Out of curiosity, when you first hired your assistant, what were the first 2–3 tasks you delegated that made the biggest difference to your day-to-day workload?