Questions About Background of Minor Child(ren)

Questions About Background of Minor Child(ren)

Condo Investor · Guyton, GA · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 1 vote

I work for a public school district and I know there are many teenagers who have criminal backgrounds.  May I ask on the application if there are any minor children who are under suspension / expulsion status from a public or private or have been found guilty of a felony or an act that would be considered a felony of committed by an adult?  Can I use that information to reject an application?  I just don't want drug dealers or sex offenders in my property, whether they are 14 or 114....

0Reply
11 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Youngstown, OH · Member since 2014 · 45 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    From what I understand, such details on minors under the age of 18 are sealed and not accessible.

    Generally, however, minors who have felonies usually have parents who have a criminal record as well so look at the parents/Guardians criminal record if you want an idea of the minor's record.

    You may ask questions regarding if the minor has a criminal record although it does not have to be answered by the applicant. usually if they don't answer, they have a criminal record, however, so keep that in mind.

  • Property Manager · Big Bear Lake, CA · Member since 2013 · 585 posts · 330 votes
    12y

    I've never had this come up, but I doubt you can ask these questions about a minor. Try googling them and check FaceBook. I agree with Cory that the parents probably have records, if the kids do.

  • Condo Investor · Guyton, GA · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    Thanks for the replies! I like the suggestion for googling and checking Facebook.  I know teenagers today seem to think they are anonymous online and post everything :)  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.