How to keep rental safe in a bad neighborhood?

How to keep rental safe in a bad neighborhood?

Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2011 · 48 posts · 4 votes

Hi all,

We have a rental property in a not-so-good neighborhood. Didn't realize at the time of buying it that it was quite a rough neighborhood. The last 2 times that the home has been vacant during tenant turnover, it has been vandalized. We are expecting a vacancy again soon and would surely like to prevent the home from being vandalized again.

I would like to ask how folks have been keeping rentals safe in bad neighborhoods and preventing issues like vandalism. Does a security alarm system help? If so, which would be a good, affordable one? Any other things that can be done? Thanks for your help.

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Member since 2014 · 27 posts · 7 votes
12y
In all our homes I install motion detector with lights in front and back . I install or hang sheets to cover the windows. I put at least two lights on timers (living room and MBR). I install a monitored security system monitored by a local company. I have a motion detector in an area that encompasses the most possible traffic pattern In the house. I meet the neighbors and tell them I'm the property manager and I am going to improve the property. I ask is there any way you can park one of your cars in my driveway at night? I go by daily and ck on the house and remove all the junk mail. Hope this helps. John. PS. I make sure the alarm system is on a cellular phone connection so if no one is paying for a Regular phone line (bc the house is vacant) then the alarm system still works!
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Member since 2014 · 27 posts · 7 votes
    12y
    In all our homes I install motion detector with lights in front and back . I install or hang sheets to cover the windows. I put at least two lights on timers (living room and MBR). I install a monitored security system monitored by a local company. I have a motion detector in an area that encompasses the most possible traffic pattern In the house. I meet the neighbors and tell them I'm the property manager and I am going to improve the property. I ask is there any way you can park one of your cars in my driveway at night? I go by daily and ck on the house and remove all the junk mail. Hope this helps. John
  • Property Manager · Member since 2014 · 27 posts · 7 votes
    12y
    In all our homes I install motion detector with lights in front and back . I install or hang sheets to cover the windows. I put at least two lights on timers (living room and MBR). I install a monitored security system monitored by a local company. I have a motion detector in an area that encompasses the most possible traffic pattern In the house. I meet the neighbors and tell them I'm the property manager and I am going to improve the property. I ask is there any way you can park one of your cars in my driveway at night? I go by daily and ck on the house and remove all the junk mail. Hope this helps. John. PS. I make sure the alarm system is on a cellular phone connection so if no one is paying for a Regular phone line (bc the house is vacant) then the alarm system still works!
  • Rental Property Investor · NY · Member since 2013 · 844 posts · 350 votes
    12y
    Everything that John F. Said was excellent. Only think I could add would be a mean and loud dog. :)
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    I agree with John. Get a wireless, monitored alarm system with motion detector. Around $ 35/month.

    The tenant might not be willing to pay for the monthly fee, but I just consider that as part of doing business in one of those neighborhoods. It also may get you a tenant quicker than without the system.

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 385 posts · 702 votes
    12y
    Is you have a decent place in a so/so neighborhood why are you having such turnover? We have some nice places in those type of neighborhoods and we literally can't get people to leave. They get in and want to stay for years because it's so much nicer than the surrounding areas.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.