No backsies in NJ when a tenant gives notice!!!

No backsies in NJ when a tenant gives notice!!!

Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes

My crappy, litigious, city agency calling tenant gave notice at the end of May and I was ecstatic, but they tried to hedge and say "if they found a place". They didn't. Now, in NJ the law says any tenant must be offered a lease renewal, and that any rent increase must not be "reprehensible". I assumed that the law also said they could basically change their mind, but as I was preparing a Notice to Quit and a new very aggressive lease I asked my lovely wife to look over the NJ State published "truth in Renting" booklet to see if I was stepping over the line. She discovers that giving notice cancels the renewal clause and if a tenant overstays after giving notice you can charge them double the rent!!! After I confirmed this with the City Landlord-Tenant Board I realized that note from them was worth more than it's weight in diamonds.

Lord what a relief, good riddance.

1Reply
7 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Queen Creek, AZ · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Glad you able to get ride of the thorn in your side.

    Give your wife a raise.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.