Baltimore water bills and tenants

Baltimore water bills and tenants

Nicole A.Pro Member
Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes

For those of you investing in Baltimore County Maryland--and especially with multi-units--how do you handle the water bills?

-Do you pay it yourself and "include" it in the rent?
-Do you have a method of determining which unit owes what per bill if it's not separately metered?
-Is it legal to say in a lease that if the water bill is above $XX amount, that the tenants owe the difference?

0Reply
244 views

Most Popular Reply

Involved In Real Estate · Brooklyn, MD · Member since 2014 · 18 posts · 6 votes
12y

@Nicole W. I found this on the Peoples Law Library. Hope it helps. 

http://www.peoples-law.org/keeping-your-house-out-tax-sale

  • Call your county government and inquire if there are any programs available to assist you.
  • For Baltimore City residents
    • If you have received an incorrect water bill, contact the Department of Public Works and request an information conference.
    • If you have had a water leak, contact the Department of Public Works and request a credit.
    • If you a Baltimore City resident, 65 or older and have a maximum income of $25,000, you can qualify for a Low Income Senior Citizens Water Discount, which may reduce your water bill by 35%.
    • For any billing issues including obtaining credits, call the Department at 410-396-5398.
  • If you are having issues paying your electric bill (which does not trigger a tax sale), you can apply for energy assistance. Call BGE at 410-685-2200 or contact the Office of Home Energy Programs at 800-352-1446 (Baltimore City residents should call 410-396-5555). Grants can help with past-due amounts and future payments.
See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    I'm sorry you had such a hard time. It's awful when communication gets crossed and it sounds like ppl don't care. I'm gonna remember to ask you for plumber and electrician recommendations tho if I ever need them! They sound great! Like a shining light in such a terrible situation. Glad you get to relax a bit now.

  • COCKEYSVILLE, MD · Member since 2009 · 65 posts · 28 votes
    12y

    Baltimore city and county water bills are different in one significant respect.

    Sewage charges in the county show up on your annual property tax bill, in the city they are included with the water each time.  The annual county bill is adjusted based on usage, and I think it is the water bill $ times 3.  Getting your usage corrected is more important than you might think.  Water is $1.94/1000gal and sewage is $5.84/1000gal.

    For my units (county) the water bill comes to me, and I pass it on to the tenant as per the lease addendum that states it is payable as rent.  I treat the sewage portion of the tax bill as an operating cost and don't directly charge it out. (I know some that send the annual sewage bill to tenants and give them several months to pay.) I believe a water addendum is required in the county.

    If the water bill isn't paid @Ned Carey will be glad to scoop up your lien in the tax sale. I think the city raised the minimum to $500 of unpaid cost.  Water bills put a lot of properties in tax sale.

    Hi @Kirsten Sitnick. Nice to see you here.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.