Investor · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2014 · 56 posts · 12 votes
I just bought a house and the previous owner painted the bathroom dark purple (like the LA Lakers color).
What is a good color that I should repaint it with? I am not trying to be stylish or anything. Just looking for something that matches with all accent colors, low maintenance, durable, cheap etc.
Investor · Sunland, CA · Member since 2013 · 260 posts · 240 votes
12y
@Andy Kaye, what dark purple doesn't seem like the best color to you? Maybe add some gold accents and install a toilet that looks like basketball hoop. That would be a slamdunk!
OK, so you hate dark purple. So do I. What gets into these people? How does anyone ever think dark purple looks good. Oh well, no accounting for taste (or lack of taste in this case).
Let's assume your preparing this bathroom for rental. I'd take a look at the accent colors then go pick out a nice earthtone or neutral color in high gloss. Renter's aren't likely to care a great deal. High gloss is usually easier to clean and tends to brighten the room some.
Perhaps you're looking to rehab for sale. In that case I'd look at who I was planning to market to then I'd try to make the bathroom a little better than they'd normally expect. For lower income market I'd do a cleaner job of what needs to be done to make it rent ready. For the middle income market I'd make sure that colors matched, I might defer to a satin finish and I'd be inclined to replace dated counters, floors and shower doors. For the high end I'd get a designer and do what they told me to do.
Whatever it takes to reach your highest profitability, not highest price nor lowest price either.
St Thomas, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 575 posts · 408 votes
12y
I have been painting all my units in Home Depot's Behr Gobi Desert eggshell, in all rooms. It is neutral and seems to hide marks reasonably well. Others on BP have mentioned other preferred shades. I think the trick is to pick one and stick with it so there is no wasted time in decision making and you do not have spare cans of different shades. Simple.
Princeton, KS · Member since 2014 · 357 posts · 169 votes
12y
Since my properties are lower-end, I go with a traditional, non-trendy look. I use a very light blue eggshell with semi-gloss bright white woodwork, doors, etc. Looks good with chrome hardware & white fixtures & isn't "girly."
I also like using a light cream color, but I have a giant bucket of blue - blue it is!