How soon do you start inspections with a new tenant

How soon do you start inspections with a new tenant

Investor · Hampton Roads, VA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 418 votes

I start my smoke detector checks 90 days after a tenant moves in to inspect the property.  I'm curious what the rest of the BP community does.

Thanks 

0Reply
13 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Hagerstown, MD · Member since 2014 · 299 posts · 140 votes
    12y

    @Bryan N. I also inspect the property and change the A/C filters every 3 months. However, right now everyone's maintenance schedules are different, so I am changing it so that each property has the same schedule of January, April, July, October, no matter when a tenant moves in. Since most of my properties are close together, this will make the maintenance more efficient.

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Same here now....my contractor changes A/C units quarterly. Usually a new tenant has a few things to call about within the first month of occupancy, so he gets to see how they're settling in.

  • Waukegan, IL · Member since 2014 · 75 posts · 35 votes
    11y

    I usually start after 6 months and do them every 6 months….Good process.  

  • Investor · Hampton Roads, VA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 418 votes
    11y

    I use 90 days because I value time and privacy as a valuable commodity today.  But, I still want to make sure they aren't going off the deep end in my property.   Nice to see that may be a consensus.  

  • Real Estate Investor · Lincoln, NE · Member since 2013 · 584 posts · 353 votes
    11y

    We change furnance filters every three months. Good opportunity to get a peek inside each apartment and make sure everything looks ok.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Country Club Hills, IL · Member since 2014 · 37 posts · 14 votes
    11y

    We do quarterly inspections.  Make sure that this is included in the lease and they agree to it upfront.

  • Investor · Bossier City, LA · Member since 2014 · 118 posts · 14 votes
    11y

    Is it weird for me to want to inspect my property once per month?

  • Investor · Clairemont, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jeff Lee:

    Is it weird for me to want to inspect my property once per month?

     I'm a tenant (in CA) and a 7 year Landlord (in FL). IMO once a month is intrusive if it is only to inspect. 

    That said I get nearly that level of frequency on my rental properties, however that is due to my Mom taking care of the things like filters and she always has some small project going in the yard or painting or what have you. But if for some reason she didn't have that kind of reason to go by then it would be 90 days.

    You're in LA so you may reasonably be able to get a monthly inspection during filter replacement since like FL you run A/C constantly, whereas other areas 3 months is plenty between filter changes.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.