Are tenants willing to for an addition storage closet?

Are tenants willing to for an addition storage closet?

Buy and Hold Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2014 · 69 posts · 10 votes
I'm close to finishing my first 5 unit apartment building. Each unit is about 350 sqft. I have additional storage closets in the utility room that I could lease to the tenants. If you have additional storage in a multi family building do you find that tenants are willing to pay for it? If so what do you charge?
0Reply
11 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2014 · 145 posts · 60 votes
    11y

    I would certainly offer if you can make money.

    In my area, non-climate controlled self-storage is around $1/sq ft per month.

    Another way to calculate how much to charge would be based on rate of return.  If renovating the storage area with paint, flooring, good doors and locks cost $1000 then it would be okay to charge $100/year (10%).  Even better would be 20%.  If you can't get at least 5% then it probably isn't worth the effort.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.