Using water sensors in property

Using water sensors in property

Investor · Chesapeake, VA · Member since 2014 · 18 posts · 3 votes

Hi,

I just recently joined BiggerPockets and this is my first post. I have learned a lot reading through the different forum topics and now have a question of my own. I have a 4-plex that just had a water leak do to an overflow from the washer in an upstairs unit. There is significant damage to the upper and lower unit on one side and wanted to see if there were any suggestions for water monitoring/sensor systems that can be placed around the house and even in walls to monitor and alert you of moisture in those areas. Obviously it is too late for the current water leak but hoping to limit damage if something like this were to occur again. 

I have done some research online and found a few systems that can do this but wanted to ask for recommendations and see what advice there is for these kinds of water/moisture recognition systems. 

Thanks in advance for the help.

0Reply
141 views

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Chesapeake, VA · Member since 2014 · 18 posts · 3 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jim Lathom:

    If the property is vacant, why not shut off the main water supply? Problem solved.

     Not if it's a multi unit property that doesn't have individual shut offs for each unit. 

  • Annapolis, MD · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Most multi family units should have individual SO valves,. If not, a plumber should be able to install them for a minimal price.

  • Real Estate Investor · Elkhart, IN · Member since 2014 · 119 posts · 50 votes
    11y

    Don't forget to place an alarm on the sump holding tank if you have a sump pump.  I had this problem at my residence where the pump impeller broke.  Thankfully the alarm went off as the water level got to a certain point in the tank.  If not for the alarm, I would have had a heck of a mess.

    I got my alarm from Lowes for $20

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.