Tenant Domestic Violence Issue

Tenant Domestic Violence Issue

Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 2 votes

Hello all, firstly wanted to thank you for this great resource.   I have been lurking here for a few years, and there is such a wealth of knowledge on this site!   

I am renting out a place in Columbus, Ohio. I have rented it two a newly married couple and this is the third month of their 1 year lease.  My communication has all been with her, and I only met him briefly when he signed the lease.  

All seemed well until this morning when I got a text from her that he has beaten her really badly and she needs to get away from him.   She wants to know if she can leave the lease without financial responsibility.    She insists he has plenty of income to pay for the place himself.   

I haven't responded yet, as Im not sure what the best answer is.   Of course I don't want to feel like I am keeping her there, in obviously such a horrible situaton.    

How would you experienced landlords handle this? 

0Reply
39 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 708 votes
11y

First and foremost, she should get the heck out of there, regardless of what her lease situation is.  I sure hope she doesn't hang around a dangerous situation just  because she is concerned about the lease.

If he can really swing the place himself, chances are he'll just continue to pay the rent anyway.  @Mark Brogan , I don't see what grounds you would be evicting them on.  We don;t even know if she called the cops and there is an investigation of criminal behavior going on (sadly, these are VERY under reported crimes), but even then it's not obvious to me that you can just evict.

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    Thanks for the response.   You are suggesting I keep trying to collect rent for July but also notify them that their lease ends August 1st and they will need to move out then?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.