What are the absolute War Zones in the Milwaukee Area?

What are the absolute War Zones in the Milwaukee Area?

Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 10 posts · 0 votes

Hi All,

I'm an investor who owns a couple duplexes in the Washington park area of Milwaukee. I'm going to buy a couple properties this year but  I haven't bought a rental in over 5 years so I don't feel like I know what neighborhoods to absolutely avoid anymore.

I don't mind where my properties are now, its not the greatest area but I don't feel threatened getting out of my car.

Can anybody give me some insight on neighborhoods to buy in?

FYI I'm purposely looking in lower income neighborhoods for cheaper high cash flowing units.

Thanks,

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 386 posts · 218 votes
11y

Have you looked into the Kenosha market?

Amazon just opened up the distribution center.  I think the numbers here are a lot better than Milwaukee...

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 811 posts · 420 votes
    11y

    I would say the worst area is:  southern border of north avenue. Northern border is Capitol Dr. Western border is Sherman Blvd. Eastern border is I-94.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    There are good and bad pockets in Milwaukee. Generally, I prefer the non-warzone areas myself. Some people do invest there, but it's just not for me.  I think the "warzone" area is generally the inner city.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 386 posts · 218 votes
    11y

    Have you looked into the Kenosha market?

    Amazon just opened up the distribution center.  I think the numbers here are a lot better than Milwaukee...

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    thanks Darren. That's similar to my general rule as well. 

    Thanks dawn.  That's exactly what I'm trying to find is properties not quite in the war zone.  I don't mind questionable neighborhoods since my first 2 rentals make me a good chunk of change. I'm really just trying to find some decent properties that will make me a nice cash flow.  But I also don't want to feel like I'm going to get shot  when I go to my property. 

    Nick. That is a very good idea. I never thought about that. 

  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 384 posts · 109 votes
    11y

    @Thomas Lee  I basically agree with Darren's boundaries, though I've always looked at Holton St. as the eastern boundary rather than I-94.  That leaves a lot of areas on the north and northwest sides of town with inexpensive homes and great cash flow. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.