Negative monthly cash flow

Negative monthly cash flow

Investor · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2015 · 55 posts · 13 votes
Currently I have a home in Alabama on a streamline va loan that I recently refinanced. It is a 15yr loan at 3.25% and the balance is 119k. The nearby comps indicate that I'm about even. I collect $765 a month after pm fees and my mortgage is just under $1000. Any ideas to bring it to positive cash flow? Or at least break even? Every six month I'm knocking $3500 off the mortgage and in about five years I could sell for a profit but I rather not continue paying $200 a month in the mean time. The option to do away with the pm is not practical I live in Washington. I thought I had a good idea by doing the 15 yr refin and save $60k in interest over the life of the loan. But that proves to be wrong for cash flow and I wasn't looking into actually become an rei till recently. Thank you all in advance for advice and for being welcoming to a newbie.
0Reply
45 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Pasadena, MD · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 5 votes
11y

I had the same insurance for years, and after looking at the slow increase in premiums over time they had doubled my premiums.  Call around and see what other offers are out there.

See this reply in the discussion

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Dustin Little:

    Insurance $53

    Tax $37

    Principle $542

    Interest $344 (3.375%)

    Total Payment  $975

    Maturity Date 10/2029

    Balance (I was a little off) $121,690

    Comps in the area are for sale for about the same price and are rent at or below my current tenants, who are possibly PCSing (moving) in July.  The home is only 6 years old, very little maintenance is required, tenants pay utilities and maintain yard. The PM cost 10% which is lower then most for the area, and the rent is $850/mo.

     Tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock,...

    Every month you keep this, you are losing $125/month....this, is if you have no vacancies, no added surprise "fixes", etc...to make it a bigger loss.

    SEll it, or refi it.  You equity is useless if you keep the house...and don't refinance.  If you refinanced, at 30 years, at the same rate, your payment would go down around $350...and you'd be cash flowing again.

  • Investor · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2015 · 55 posts · 13 votes
    11y

    So, I have looked into refinancing the property.  An option is to do a 3/1 at 2.25%, I have requested information on a 5/1 and the rate.  I would feel much more comfortable with a 5/1 a 3/1, however the whole concept is new to me.  If I were to do the 3/1 I would be up $200 rather then down $200 a month.  So, that is actually an extra $400 in my pocket a month. I am still trying to get my head around this because yes, over the next 24 months at $400/mo that is $9600. But with my current loan in 24 months $10000 more in equity then with the refinanced 3/1 loan. I guess I am only just now realizing I must calculate in the $200/mo it cost me to keep the current loan, total $4800.  If we subtract that from the $10000, ouch when comparing it to the 3/1. 

    So it is clear, positive cash flow is KING. So, now what?  Is it okay to refinance with only six months since my last refinance?  Should I plan now to sell near the end of the 3 or 5 year fixed rate or maybe look into another refinance option at that time and compare apples?  I am beginning to realize as I type this I am walking myself through it.  But, how safe are 3/1 and 5/1 ARMs? 

    Is there anything I am overlooking, overthinking?

    P/S I hope others are getting something out of this post than just me, thanks again BP community.

  • Investor · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2015 · 55 posts · 13 votes
    11y
    I now have more details on the loan. It is a VA 5/1, 2.5%, after the first five years it can't not raise more than 1% each year and has a 5% cap. I will be able to pocket an extra $400 month since since I've been negative $200. I am pretty certain this is the route I am going to take, thank you again everyone for helping me find a resolution.
  • Investor · Hampstead, NH · Member since 2014 · 20 posts · 7 votes
    11y

    By the time you factor in vacancy (~5%) in my hood and maintenance (~15%) you're bleeding pretty good .... I would let this one go.  Buy local ... cut the PM out until you can run them with a positive cashflow.

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    @Dustin Little I'm petrified of ARMs.  I can remember a time when they destroyed people.  

    I'm thinking you should do a FSBO. Offer to sell it to your current tenants first. Ask for a higher than market rate interest rate, with an early payoff penalty. If they default, it's yours again, and you can do it again at a higher price (assuming the market goes up).

    I knew a man in a small town in WA, who sold his property twice in the time I'd lived there.  I rented a small apartment on that property.  I made a comment that it's too bad the latest owners foreclosed.  He laughed and said every time one of them gets foreclosed on, he makes money.  He gets to keep the downpayment, makes an above-average interest rate, then sells it again for a higher price!  Brilliant.

  • Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2014 · 382 posts · 123 votes
    11y
    I really am in the same boat as you are. I refinanced about 10 years ago into a 15 year loan. Been negative about 100 a month since. I also made extra payments, because my goal at the time was to pay it off quick! Then I found bigger pockets! Lol! The good thing for me is it has been a forced savings plan for me and I am looking to refinance in the next few months or so. I also had an original 30 year VA loan and refinanced to conventional. What lender are you using to refinance using the VA? I tried with usaa but they are not refinancing on investment proprty at this time. Is it better to refinance va instead of conventional if it is an investment property? I wish you luck on your refinance!
  • Lender · Bellevue WA & Orange County, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    it depends on your personal preferences and how much research you've done on ARM's if used correctly with proper exit strategies they can be highly lucrative.

    Its only risky when people go into them for just the initial fixed rate of 3/5/7/10 years with out looking at the exit strategy, the caps, the annual/semi/limits, start rate, margin, and etc

    I am a lender and I invest as well so I see things from a couple different angles. For most people who ask about ARM's I dont necessarily say they are bad or good it just depends on the sophistication of the borrower/investor and their emotional maturity in handling the risk.

    Whether you should sell or hold or rent depends on what your objectives are so no one here can know enough to advise you on that from the scope of this article. You'd have to have a good understanding of your level of competence in the subject, your emotional maturity when it comes to taking financial risks, and your investment objectives to properly advise.

  • Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2015 · 280 posts · 98 votes
    11y

     @Joe Villeneuve There are certain valid cases to buy properties with negative cashflow.  For starters, many A-class cities have apartments that have negative cashflows but can be classified as good/stable investments (for folks who simply need to park cash).

    Like others said, whether it is a good idea is dependent yourself as a whole.  If you have a cash-generating business on the side, to be tax efficient, you need somewhere else to spend the cash.  Buying in cashflow-healthy but management-intensive areas may not be their best choice.  (Personally, I know quite a few people that do that)

    That said, fully agree with you Joe.  The key of real estate, just like poker, is to stay in the game.  How you get your poker chips (ie. cash) differs from one person to the other.

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Che Chiu Wong:

     @Joe Villeneuve There are certain valid cases to buy properties with negative cashflow.  For starters, many A-class cities have apartments that have negative cashflows but can be classified as good/stable investments (for folks who simply need to park cash).

    Like others said, whether it is a good idea is dependent yourself as a whole.  If you have a cash-generating business on the side, to be tax efficient, you need somewhere else to spend the cash.  Buying in cashflow-healthy but management-intensive areas may not be their best choice.  (Personally, I know quite a few people that do that)

    That said, fully agree with you Joe.  The key of real estate, just like poker, is to stay in the game.  How you get your poker chips (ie. cash) differs from one person to the other.

     Sorry, let me rephrase what I said.

    There is NO reasonable, or logical, or rational reason to lose money in a REI. All the reasons given are bad reasons. Every reason given, like needing a place to park money to show a loss, makes no sense...worse it makes no dollars.  Why bother investing if you are going to give away your profits?

  • Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2015 · 280 posts · 98 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Joe Villeneuve:
    Originally posted by @Che Chiu Wong:

     @Joe Villeneuve There are certain valid cases to buy properties with negative cashflow.  For starters, many A-class cities have apartments that have negative cashflows but can be classified as good/stable investments (for folks who simply need to park cash).

    Like others said, whether it is a good idea is dependent yourself as a whole.  If you have a cash-generating business on the side, to be tax efficient, you need somewhere else to spend the cash.  Buying in cashflow-healthy but management-intensive areas may not be their best choice.  (Personally, I know quite a few people that do that)

    That said, fully agree with you Joe.  The key of real estate, just like poker, is to stay in the game.  How you get your poker chips (ie. cash) differs from one person to the other.

     Sorry, let me rephrase what I said.

    There is NO reasonable, or logical, or rational reason to lose money in a REI. All the reasons given are bad reasons. Every reason given, like needing a place to park money to show a loss, makes no sense...worse it makes no dollars.  Why bother investing if you are going to give away your profits?

    Certainly no one will go into REI with sole purpose of losing money (or for whatever in general).

    "Parking money" is more figuratively speaking.  The main point is there are various scenarios where an investment makes sense even if it has monthly negative cashflow (which is the main topic of this thread).  Here are at least three:

    1) Future capital appreciation (especially in A-class cities).  While one can argue it is speculative and may not be advisable, it is nonetheless a valid strategy. 

    2) For foreign investors, it's an indirect play on strength on US dollars.

    3) Sometimes real estate preserves values better than other more liquid assets (e.g. cash). One can lose it all in an instant, let's just say that. 

    In America, we are blessed with the freedom of capital movement and the property rights are recognized.  Keep in mind we can't really say it's the same for all parts of the world.  

    #3 sounds somewhat dramatic.  But believe me, I know of people (first-degree and second-degree) who buy negative cashflows properties for at least 1 of the reasons above.

    Again, is it a shrewd investment by itself? Probably not, if you have better alternatives.  As much as both @Joe Villeneuve and I believe in cashflow properties, it is simply better to keep in mind there are a lot of other people with different purposes when they invest in real estate.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.