Renting to Illegal immigrants

Renting to Illegal immigrants

Rental Property Investor · Phoenixville, PA · Member since 2015 · 119 posts · 61 votes

I'm not sure if this has been touched on previously but it recently became an issue that I never planned on dealing with.

My business purchased a duplex back in November, and one of the tenants picked up and moved out with no notice about a month ago. Since then, we found another duplex and managed to get it under contract on a short sale. The current landlord gave the tenants 2 weeks notice to clear out, and when we were touring through it one man asked if we had another unit we could rent to them. We did so I offered them our newly vacant unit across town. When I went to get background checks he mentioned that he and his wife and their daughter did not have social security numbers and were living in the US illegally. 

I called the references he provided for his employer and previous landlord and it all checked out. So far so good, but it has only been one month. Does anyone know the legality of renting to illegal immigrants? I would also like to hear some best practices for dealing with this if anyone has stories to share. 

0Reply
244 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
11y

Christian,

Show some compassion. We're fortunate enough to be a landlord and live in the best country in the world. 

Based on my experience, most illegal immigrants are hard workers and pay their rent. They sacrificed their lives to come to this beautiful country for a chance to a better life. Not only they are hard working, they tend to be more family oriented. They work hard to provide for their family here, and at the same time save money to send home to help out their nuclear family. Don't take that away from them. Give them a chance. 

Just my 2 cents. 

See this reply in the discussion

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Basically the issue comes down to what does this type of tenant have to lose if they don't pay the rent.. NOTHING>. the landlord loses,, he has to file,, that costs,, then process eviction rent lost,, then he gets his unit back in what condition ??  that turn costs.. and they owe him money.. who's he gonna sue.. they have nothing to go after,, a credit ding won't hurt them they don't live on credit approvals.. they lose nothing.. no Soc Sec Number to track or trace.

    We have enough legal citizens that need affordable housing that we could be looking to house. 

  • Investor · Princeton, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Jennifer T.  It is against federal law to require all tenants to have a social security number.  You should talk to an attorney before you use that policy.

  • Investor · Princeton, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I know MANY undocumented workers.  I have never seen any sign they would a worse tenant than anyone else.

  • Investor · Flower Mound, TX · Member since 2017 · 182 posts · 198 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Jennifer T.  It is against federal law to require all tenants to have a social security number.  You should talk to an attorney before you use that policy.

    Which Federal law specifically?

  • Jennifer T.Pro Member
    Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 944 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Scott L.:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Jennifer T.  It is against federal law to require all tenants to have a social security number.  You should talk to an attorney before you use that policy.

    Which Federal law specifically?

    Now that I am thinking about it specifically.  I have never told someone they have to give me their social security number.  Though there is a spot for it on my application.  However, I do tell tenants that I will be running a credit check for each tenant over the age of 18.  So, if I can't run a credit check because they don't have a SSN, I won't rent to them.  In my mind, that just all goes hand in hand.  But the true reasoning is I can't run a credit check.  Not that they don't have a SSN.

    It's actually never come up for me, though.

  • Investor · Flower Mound, TX · Member since 2017 · 182 posts · 198 votes
    9y

    You pretty much have to have a SSN to legally reside and work in the US. Sure, there are some oddball exceptions for religious objections or foreign diplomats, but I'm not aware of a Federal law that says you are required to rent to someone without a SSN. Whether you want to collect it from applicants and be responsible for protecting it... I think there are a number of screening services that will do it for you without you having to have a copy. But if you choose to require it, or a Drivers License/State ID, I know of nothing saying you can't...at least Federally.

  • Investor · Princeton, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    There is a huge amount of information about Social Security numbers in other threads on this site.  But... I will try to explain some of it again and provide some links.

    First...  People can be living in the US for years legally without a Social Security numbers.  It happens all the time.  One of the biggest classes is foreign students.

    Second... Having a Social Security number does not mean that a person is in the country legally.  Many people that have them have over stayed temporary visas and are here illegally.

    Third...  There are other ways to screen people. https://www.landlordology.com/do-landlords-need-so...

    Fourth...  In Urban areas it is not uncommon for people to be here on six month tourist visas and they rent homes.  

    https://www.landlordology.com/do-landlords-need-so...

    Five...  It is a violation of the Fair Housing Act to discriminate based on Nation of Origin.  All three major credit reporting agencies will say Social Security numbers are not required for credit checks.  So it is going to be hard to prove that was your reason.

    Six... There are more state laws on the subject than I want to go into.  Here is a link.  You should check for your state's exact laws if it is one of the many listed in the article.  

    http://consumersunion.org/news/state-laws-restrict...

  • Real Estate Agent · Charleston, SC · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    I ended up renting to the undocumented tenants and they have been great. They have paid rent on time and in cash every month and they have kept their apartment very clean and well kept. The glowing review from their previous landlord was the ultimate decider of my decision.

  • Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Tyler Merrell:

    My target population is actually illegal immigrants. RIght now they are renting in the slums for more money than I am asking and they keep their places clean. Yes screen them, but you should do that to all of them. I am bilingual and have learned to love and respect their culture. For the most part they are here to better their lives, but yes some do cause problems, but I believe every race, and nationality has a few bad apples. 


     How do you screen someone with out any history in the country?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.