Baltimore County. Another high water bill.

Baltimore County. Another high water bill.

Nicole A.Pro Member
Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes

I'm not sure what's going on. Typically for my 2-unit buildings the quarterly water bill is around $40. Both apartments are 2 bedrooms and fully occupied for this price.

Last year, I dealt with a huge leak because of a failing supply line in the yard. Had the line replaced and a nice big credit of around $300 put on my water bill account.

Got my next bill after that and it was normal around $36. I didn't have to pay because of my $300 credit.

Now the most recent bill comes in at around $260. I call and they send someone to check the meter out. I call back days later (today) to ask about the findings. The meter reads at a consumption of 8753 (gallons?). She said they saw no sign of a leak. 

I tell her we have no interior leaks. She says, "sometimes you can't see a leak. get a licensed plumber to check out the property." So I will do this and if he finds nothing wrong, what will I do?

She said I couldn't get another hearing because I had one already within a year. But if I send a repair receipt, they may adjust it. If nothing is wrong, do I just send whatever receipt for the inspection?

Also, I find it odd that the water bill for next door (who shares the same access well as my meter) constantly has a bill of $14 for the same type of property, fully occupied.

Any advice is appreciated.

0Reply
89 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Jasper GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y

Have you looked to see if the meter is running while everything is cut off in the unit?

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • MD · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    Have a third party inspect the meter if possible. I had a similar situation I had paid someone 600 to dig up and check my water line on my side of the meter. Turned out the elbow on the bottom side of the water meter (which is part of the city's responsibility) had corroded. They eventually came and fixed and gave me  some arbitrary credit, but of course, I was out for the 600 bucks I had paid to check the line that the city tried to convince me was leaking. If I suspected a leak on the meter and called them, they should've checked but the City is notoriously bad at pretty much everything.... Eventually got them out and got them to acknowledge the issue after much headache and back and forth. Of course since the city is super irresponsible you should probably be present whenever they do come out to do your own dilligence :( .

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.