Vero Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 8 votes
Tenant and his wife filled out a rental application 2 weeks back. I gave full disclosure that I will preform a credit and background check.
When presented with this information he explained he had a felony 7 years ago for theft when him and his wife took flags from a golf course. They were 18 and 19. He then explained that he was unsure what their credit score would be because he and his wife don't use credit.
I told them to fill out the application and I would get back to them.
I was able to verify from the background check and calling up the courthouse in his previous location that they were telling the truth about the golf flags.
That was the only offense on either or their records. Their credit score came back less than stellar but was consistent with not using credit.
They had no prior evictions and his income is well within the 3x mark.
I called their previous landlord 3 days ago and she gave a highly positive review of the couple and told me they even cleaned her carpets for her before they left. They had never been late on rent the 2 years they lived with her and anytime she stopped by the house was tidy and they addressed any issues within a few days. I asked if she was aware of their history when she rented to them and she said she was.
They seemed like pretty genuine people. I didn't get any weird vibe from them. They seemed very well spoken. I don't know. I havent rented to felons before just because it's never came up.
I haven't had any interest in 5 weeks. I'm really considering it.
1) look at the time involved in trying to make a felony "acceptable." All the time you take turning into a detective to see if the "reason" they are a felon is acceptable. Unless you have zero applicants behind this one, why spend the time trying to turn an item on your "unacceptable" criteria list - acceptable?
Whatever happened to giving someone a second chance? Cmon on guys, you're human, not machines.
I probably would give them the tenancy. They've been up front about it from the start (it's not something you discovered), it really was something done that was probably when drunk, and we've all done something stupid (although maybe not felonious stupid).
If this was anything to do with violence, abuse, robbery, drugs, I'd be first to kick them to the kerb.
Chester, NH · Member since 2014 · 53 posts · 0 votes
11y
I think you made the right decision renting to them. I almost feel bad that he got pegged for a felony just from stealing some golf flags.. Lord knows many of us have probably made some similar stupid mistakes too (and didn't get in nearly that much trouble). He passed every other part of your screening criteria with flying colors, why wouldn't you rent to him?
My .02
Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2014 · 172 posts · 73 votes
11y
way to go on this decision. To anyone who has a blanket rule "I do not rent to felons" needs to be very grateful they were not caught doing stupid things as a teenager and 20 something year old.... I have zero criminal history, but it's only because my stupidity never caught up with me in my youth. Case by case seems like a reasonable interpretation of one's rules. Furthermore, in a podcast I was listening to while sitting at a park for lunch today, the term that was used was "ability to pivot".
Professional · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 3 votes
11y
Well done, you kept your personal feelings aside and succeeded on weight-in the risk, made your adjustments and now you have started a great business relationship. Upfront communication and honesty is the best cure. Stay sharp and get the next property going!
Johnson City, TN · Member since 2014 · 140 posts · 133 votes
11y
I would rent them who are you to judge I believe your not a dumb person and I believe all money is green. If they come across as good people to you then I would do it. 7 Years is a long time and it was when he was 18 so cut him some slack. I would defiantly do it and think you should too!
Van Alstyne, TX · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes
11y
Seems like the right decision. Non-violent, One time, 7 years ago, 18, intervening military service. The military is pretty picky, it's not easy to get in with a felony record. This sounds like a great tenant.
Tenant and his wife filled out a rental application 2 weeks back. I gave full disclosure that I will preform a credit and background check.
When presented with this information he explained he had a felony 7 years ago for theft when him and his wife took flags from a golf course. They were 18 and 19. He then explained that he was unsure what their credit score would be because he and his wife don't use credit.
I told them to fill out the application and I would get back to them.
I was able to verify from the background check and calling up the courthouse in his previous location that they were telling the truth about the golf flags.
That was the only offense on either or their records. Their credit score came back less than stellar but was consistent with not using credit.
They had no prior evictions and his income is well within the 3x mark.
Hello Crystal,
I'm no expert when it comes to landlording, as I'm just starting out as a real estate investor. However, I do deal with criminals (of all kinds) on a daily basis through my "day" job. As such, here are thoughts that come to mind for me:
1) What was the actual charge for which this person was convicted? In my state the value of the golf course flags would need to be in excess of $2,000 for a simple "theft" to rise to the level of a felony. In the past this amount was $1,000, as of a few years ago. A simple theft of some unsecured flags would be a misdemeanor offense in most cases. However, if the subject broke into the building to steal these items, you are looking at a burglary charge (a felony), rather than a simple "theft" charge.
2) One issue on a person's record can potentially be seen as an anomaly. This charge was clearly non-violent (if it is as you described), and sounds like it was probably more akin to a teenager stealing a street sign than it was a pattern of criminal behavior. Of course, I'm only going off of a third-hand description of the crime, so it could be more serious than I'm picturing.
3) Felons can still be decent people. When I was renting I had a neighbor in a 4-plex who was a felon. He was cleaner than me, very quiet, and a genuinely nice guy. As far as I know he always paid his rent on time, and didn't give the landlords any trouble. His felony was for a marijuana distribution conviction that he had during high school.
4) Are you sure this guy served in the military after his conviction? The military requires a waiver for felons, and these waivers can sometimes be tough to get. If this guy received a felony conviction at an age of 18, he'd have obviously needed a waiver to go into the service. However, if he is an honorably discharged veteran who was allowed to serve in the military despite this issue on his record, I'd be inclined to believe he's probably of no greater risk to you than any other tenant with a similar credit score, rental history, etc. He might even be a better renter, based on his service history.
I would personally be apprehensive with convictions for violent crimes, serious misdemeanors and felonies, felony drug convictions, criminal mischief (vandalism), domestic violence cases (with some exceptions), serious theft cases, and sexual assaults. I'm looking at this from a character perspective, and most folks with the aforementioned issues have some sort of character flaw. It's hard for me to boil things down to a simple "yes" or "no" on felons, even if a fair housing policy might require me to do so. It's hard for me to get to that point because I look at criminal histories on people on a daily basis, and have a feeling that I'm pretty good at reading between the lines in most cases.
Bottom Line? If the scenario is as you describe, I probably wouldn't worry about this particular individual. But, I'd make sure that things are as they seem.
Vero Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 8 votes
10y
Hey guys, I know this is really old by now, but I thought I would update for anyone who may be reading this wondering what the outcome was.
I am happy to say that everything worked out for the best. They are some of the best tenants I've had in a long time.
I had one issue where a friend of his dropped off a broke down truck and left it on the driveway and it had leaked oil. I wasn't thrilled about this so I asked if he could move the vehicle off the property.
He said okay. 2 days later I drove by on my way home and sure enough, the truck was gone and the oil cleaned up.
I was nervous there for a little bit but things have worked out great. I know it may be hit or miss, but I think if an issue ever comes up again that a prospective tenant has a record, I may be willing to look at it on a individual basis.
I want to reply to this as a felon! Having horrible tenant is a risk period. @Account Closed - How very small minded of you, but your loss! When I got out of prison for the 3rd time and changed my life. Now I own and rent properties myself. No matter what I do, I feel as if I am representing an entire class of people who have to struggle not to re-offend, simply because society will not give them places to live or jobs. There are tons of ex-cons who feel the same way I do and are trying to prove ourselves to give chances to others. I have gotten a lot of skeptical land lords in my community on board with my effort. The references from their felon renters are amazing 90% of the time.
San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y
@Jackie Barnhart, it's not small minded to make smart business decisions based on the information on hand, or to have criteria that is fair, which is non-discriminatory as far as the protected classes. Owners and managers need to make decisions on applicants based on criteria that is non-discriminatory under the law, and that minimize the risk to the owner in a legal fashion.
I completely understand your concern for ex-cons who need a second chance. But, what are the statistics regarding the risk in renting to them? Are those statistics favorable to the landlord? I sincerely doubt it. But again, I commend you and any other landlords willing to give them a chance. When I was a resident manager, I was not willing to do so, and put my other tenants at risk, simply in order to give an ex-con a second chance, let alone put the owner's profits at risk.
So again, kudos to you for your charitable efforts. But, as a manager, your arguments would not have convinced me to break my criteria rules.