Biggest cost in rental properties.

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y

Your biggest cost is TURNOVER and vacancy. So tenant/prescreening is crucial to success in this business. All other expenses pale in comparison when you have no tenant and the unit is costing you money every month (even if it's free and clear because you still need to pay taxes, insurance and some utilities specially in the winter).

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Member since 2014 · 45 posts · 14 votes
    11y
    Insurance, taxes, lawn maintenance/appliance repair.
  • Missy H.Pro Member
    Investor · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2015 · 207 posts · 121 votes
    11y

    Hi Renardon

    I don't really have a list of the Top three properties, but I do have a top one.  It would be plumbing issues due to old or clogged pipes or sewer lines. 

    I have two properties.  One was completely rehabbed pipes and all.  When the tenants moved in, they were advised of this and told that any plumbing clogs or issues are on them.  My other property was not a rehab and I had plumbing issues there due to clogged sewer lines because the tree roots grew into the sewer lines under my front yard.  Every year the plumbing company was there with the whoosie whatsit clearing out the sewer lines and cutting through the roots.  Finally, I decided to put a sewer liner in and I have been problem free ever since.

    I have learned that if I am going to rehab, i am going to do it top to bottom so that I have a clear mind as to what is wrong and fix it from the get go.  Aside from a Hurricane Sandy rebuild, I have been maintenance free for 4 years.

    Good Luck,

    Missy

  • Real Estate Agent · Aubrey, TX · Member since 2014 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Renardon Calhoun:
    I looking to get a consensus of what is the top 3 biggest cost for rental properties owners occur on a consistent basis?

     It depends on where you're investing. I would agree with David, although I don't have the lawn maintenance expense to worry about. Property tax could be a potential high cost, depending on where you invest. I ran into an issue with my Heating/A/C unit, which is going to cost me a large amount of my profits this year. Not looking forward too the repair cost.

  • Rental Property Investor · Plant City, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 379 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Renardon Calhoun:
    I looking to get a consensus of what is the top 3 biggest cost for rental properties owners occur on a consistent basis?

     I assume you are asking besides taxes, insurance, and mortgage.  

    ~My top is AC, I have already decided I'm replacing the entire unit next time I have a problem.  

    ~Washer and dryer for the unit I decided to supply them (I do not recommend this).

    ~I can't come up with the third because it would be a tie between many small $$ things.  

  • Specialist · Westlake Village, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 781 votes
    11y

    tenant turnover

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Your biggest cost is TURNOVER and vacancy. So tenant/prescreening is crucial to success in this business. All other expenses pale in comparison when you have no tenant and the unit is costing you money every month (even if it's free and clear because you still need to pay taxes, insurance and some utilities specially in the winter).

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Renardon Calhoun:
    I looking to get a consensus of what is the top 3 biggest cost for rental properties owners occur on a consistent basis?

     Outside of taxes and insurance, I can't think of any recurring major costs.  And in my case, neither is a great expense anyway.

    As mentioned, plumbing could be a recurring cost if the landlord doesn't ensure the plumbing is in great shape during rehab.  If there is a doubt that the plumbing might be imperfect, you'll have a lot of repair calls and costs.

    HVAC repair should not be a recurring cost. If it is, my opinion is the unit should be replaced. The roof should not be a recurring cost. Neither should appliances be a quickly recurring cost, though some tenants may be rougher than usual on appliances. I have SFR and ensure via the lease that tenants are responsible for lawn maintenance, so that's not an expense for me.

    The only possible big recurring expense might be turnover expenses.  If a landlord has a lot of short-term tenants for only 3-6 months as a time, there may be extra clean up and repair costs associated with get the unit ready for new tenants.  Not to mention that the unit may sit empty for a month between tenants before it is rented again.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    11y

    There is one worse than vacancy - the non-paying tenant occupant; you feel the same expenses as when vacant, and then some (eviction isn't free), plus you can't even do the turnover and find new tenants. I used the term "economic vacancy" on the BP forums before to coin a term for this ...

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y

    Taxes #1. Insurance #2. These are guaranteed and consistent expenses. I would probably rate maintenance #3. You can control insurance expenses by adjusting your level of coverage. Taxes...you have very little if any control over and depending upon the area, can be quite expensive.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y
    I would agree with tenant turnover. The most expensive piece of which is interior paint. I don't love to paint but I usually take that on myself to cut costs.
  • Professional · Yona, Guam · Member since 2014 · 62 posts · 30 votes
    11y

    Vacancy, turnover, and not enforcing your lease (late fees, evicting, documentation, pets, inspections, violations, and more). I listed that as my third one because it leads to most of the big expenses including vacancy, rent loss, and turnover.

    Most landlords already have a good lease, they just don't enforce it.

  • Investor · Roanoke, VA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 374 votes
    11y

    vacancy,evictions,the morgage payments for lots of investors and property management
    taxes also and insurance 
    sorry more than 3 
    good luck @Renardon Calhoun

  • Investor · Century, FL · Member since 2015 · 950 posts · 603 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Renardon Calhoun:
    I looking to get a consensus of what is the top 3 biggest cost for rental properties owners occur on a consistent basis?

     1-3, Tenants

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    1. VACANCY

    2. BAD TENANTS

    3. Repairs (which fluctuate, depending on the condition of the property, and the tenants)

  • Property Manager · Idaho Falls, ID · Member since 2015 · 147 posts · 83 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Ali Boone:

    1. VACANCY

    2. BAD TENANTS

    3. Repairs (which fluctuate, depending on the condition of the property, and the tenants)

    Yes exactly! (bad tenants being caused by poor screening)

  • Ronan M.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 352 posts · 281 votes
    11y

    For a building I have in Chicago the biggest annual expense by far is for heating.

    followed by Property Tax

    followed by Insurance

  • Investor · Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2015 · 423 posts · 114 votes
    11y
    :))) bad tenants You may loose the rent for few months even with eviction process and few thousands in cleaning and repairs and time to do that :)))
  • Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 60 posts · 46 votes
    11y

    depends on location. I own in San francisco. Vacancy is filled fast, utilities are reasonable and insurance too.

    Labor is expensive.  So labor intensive expenses

    Painting and cleaning

    Plumbing and old sewer lines in old city like sf

    Yah and tenant turn over

  • Investor · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 684 votes
    11y

    No one has mentioned my biggest cost by a long-shot.  INTEREST.

    My 3 top expenses are:

    • Interest
    • Taxes
    • Repairs
    1. Residential Real Estate Broker · Member since 2014 · 45 posts · 14 votes
      11y
      Yes, if one has mortgage then interest would easily be in the top 3.
    2. Real Estate Investor · Odessa, FL · Member since 2015 · 66 posts · 15 votes
      11y

      Has anyone thought of investing in Home Warranties? Most leases have a clause that "the tenant is responsible for X repairs". With a Home Warranty, the tenant is more likely to get things fixed and not procrastinate and allow them to fester and it limits the cost above the service call to the owner. Call backs are on the Home Warranty company.

      I got one for our house because I did not want to be poking around the washing machine!

    3. Contractor · Blackfoot, ID · Member since 2013 · 149 posts · 52 votes
      11y
      Originally posted by @Missy H.:

       Every year the plumbing company was there with the whoosie whatsit clearing out the sewer lines and cutting through the roots.  Finally, I decided to put a sewer liner in and I have been problem free ever since.

      This cracks me up. It was a Snake with a Root Auger. 

      Doesn't hurt to get a sewer camera down those pipes and take a good look on a potential investment.

      That way you know for sure whether you need the "whoosie whatsit " or not.

    4. Investor, Realtor, Writer, Podcaster · Billings, MT · Member since 2013 · 175 posts · 97 votes
      11y
      Originally posted by @Tom Kelly:

      Has anyone thought of investing in Home Warranties? Most leases have a clause that "the tenant is responsible for X repairs". With a Home Warranty, the tenant is more likely to get things fixed and not procrastinate and allow them to fester and it limits the cost above the service call to the owner. Call backs are on the Home Warranty company.

      I got one for our house because I did not want to be poking around the washing machine!

       Interesting. What company do you use?

    5. Missy H.Pro Member
      Investor · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2015 · 207 posts · 121 votes
      11y

      @Mike Baker

      I am glad that I can brighten your day. :)

      And you did bring up a great point.  I should call the plumbing company to come out with a video camera just to make sure that my investment is paying off.

      Thanks!!

    6. Investor · Williamsburg, VA · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 3 votes
      11y

      For me, bring a passive, out of town investor, the biggest expense is by far property manager commissions. But, you get what you pay for, and I've been reasonably happy with all of them over the years.

    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.