how helpful are property managers, really?

how helpful are property managers, really?

Real Estate Investor · Renton, WA · Member since 2008 · 16 posts · 0 votes

I'm new here and really like this site. All this talk about property managers makes me wonder. How many of you used property managers? I've heard their rates are usually 5-10%. I handle one SFR right now, but am looking into multi-families. How much of the burden to property managers really take off the owner?

Thanks,
Todd

0Reply
73 views

67 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Anchorage, AK · Member since 2008 · 63 posts · 3 votes
    18y


    Why? If you're not hearing from the tenant and you're getting the rent, why would you want to visit? You're not going to go in without giving notice, and the tenant's not going to like that. You'll surely hear about it if it burns down. Do you really drive by every property once a month?

    Fine, assume once a quarter on average. He has 195 (13 weeks) and spends 16 hours a week on them. I'll have 2200 and spend 16 hours a week on mine.

    I can do my 16 hours a week from anywhere on the planet as long as I can get email and have access to a phone; he is tethered to his locale.
  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    Honestly Tyler a big part of it is a market anamoly right now that I'm taking advantage of with REOs in the singles but it's basically 4 things.

    1. The multi market hasn't been hit in the subprime meltdown the way the single was making for some ridiculous ops in the single market that really aren't in the multi market.

    2. I don't have the issues of one tenant being mad at another tenant with singles. If they're mad at the neighbor they don't call me, they call the cops.

    3. No utilities issues (easier book keeping).

    4. Apartment dwellers seem to have an attitude that they're housing is temporary. House dwellers seem to have longer term in mind.

    I have nothing against buying multi's and will do so again in the future. Were I to do it over though, I think I would get "out of the rat race" on singles before going to multi's. I think.....keeping my ear to the ground for more good multi deals though. For whatever reason it's been easier to raise funding on those even if the numbers aren't as good as the per unit returns on singles.

    Tim

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Dana Point, CA · Member since 2008 · 147 posts · 7 votes
    18y

    Thanks for the quick response i appreciate it.

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    Once again, you're comparing apples and oranges. I do both the management and maintenance, with the majority of the 16 hours being on maintenance and rehab. Management takes very little effort and very little time, which is why I said that it is the most overpaid job on the planet.

    You're not "feeling it" because you're a newbie in the rental business and you clearly don't understand what management entails.

    That's big talk for someone just starting out in the multi-family business. But then again, talk is cheap!

    Mike

  • AL · Member since 2008 · 21 posts · 1 vote
    18y

    i didn't use property manager, i just consulted some advice and sell my property myself

  • Real Estate Investor · Anchorage, AK · Member since 2008 · 63 posts · 3 votes
    18y

    You did not read my post. I didn't say you spent 16 hours just on management I said management, maintenance and rehab.

    Conversation depends on both parties actually listening (reading in this case) to what the other party is saying. Since you keep misstating what I wrote that means you are either not reading it, not comprehending it or intentionally misrepresenting it.

    It does not matter which because any of the three render intelligent conversation completely impossible.

    Let us call a truce, ok? You spend your 16 hours a week doing everything you do with your "a lot more than 40" units and I will spend my 2 hours a week dealing with my 200. k?

    By the way, Tim, I don't need a "crash course" in property management. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt and then learned there is a much better way.

  • Real Estate Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2008 · 21 posts · 3 votes
    18y

    Gary,
    My compliments on someone finally putting Mike in his place. I get up every morning and read this forum. I have thought for quit some time that this guy is a negative influence on this forum. At times he makes some good points but he strikes me as someone who is fairly successful in this business but gets off on discouraging others from being or attempting to be successful.

    As for the property management issue. I am getting ready to purchase my first multi-unit and I will definitely use a PM. My time is worth a lot more than what I would pay them and I think people tend to forget that aspect of things. Some call it the small business owner mentality. If you own your own business and are working your butt off there everyday......whats the point? I'm in this to work less not more.

    Just a couple of thoughts and observations from a newbie. (that was for Mike.....thats the first thing he is going to say)

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    I do not discourage others from being or attempting to be successful. What I try to do is add a little reality to the forum. All the cheerleading and positive mental attitude is fine, but that won't make you money in the real world. The facts and numbers are what matters in the real world. All the motivational nonsense in the world won't make you a penny if the numbers are wrong.

    The truth is that the vast majority of newbies fail in this business (and most other businesses). In my opinion, understanding the REALITY of the business is far more important than being "positive" or promoting false (but happy) information.

    But I'm sure you're right, it's a lot more fun to pretend that the big issue in real estate is how to count the huge piles of money that fall from the sky rather than to discuss the real issues.

  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2008 · 801 posts · 61 votes
    18y

    I have been in this business for over 24 years. I have seen newbies come and go with amazing frequency. The reasons people fail in any business are are numerous and predictable. Under capitalization, lack of knowledge, lack of experience, lack of a willingness or ability to learn new things, lack of work ethic, lack of vision and any number of a hundred or thousand reasons.

    But, one common trait that belongs to all of the truly successful is to know their strengths, weaknesses and limitations; know when to get help and how to leverage the efforts of employees and outside contractors.

  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2008 · 801 posts · 61 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by Gene Kardos:
    As for the property management issue. I am getting ready to purchase my first multi-unit and I will definitely use a PM. My time is worth a lot more than what I would pay them and I think people tend to forget that aspect of things. Some call it the small business owner mentality. If you own your own business and are working your butt off there everyday......whats the point? I'm in this to work less not more.

    When I first started in the summer of 1984 I wasn't even thinking about replacing an income or working less. I was fresh out of college and happily employed as an engineer with BMAC in Seattle. I wanted to get into real estate investing for the very long term and to build some security in case something happened.

    It was not until late 2007 that I no longer held a full-time W-2 job.

    Now, I still work about the same amount of hours as before but they are not in a contiguous block of time. If I need to stop and take a few minutes or hours or days to deal with something, I can just do it.

    But you are exactly right about the small company mentality. Some are never able to make the conceptual leap from small to anything else and without that leap the concrete steps needed to go there are impossible.

    People who manage their own properties do it because it works for them, it is within their comfort zone and they don't need the benefits any other method might provide. Those of us who use managers do it for the exact same reasons.

  • Real Estate Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2008 · 203 posts · 1 vote
    18y

    Some of the best, most informative topics, come from a healthy debate like this one.

    (side note)
    As someone relatively young (who has yet to purchase property), I am highly appreciative of Mike's presence here and him sharing his experience. I've started many threads, hoping that he'd respond and I've never felt like he is trying to dissuade me from purchasing investment property. I also read his book and came away extremely informed.

    His approach is extremely objective and calculated -which, in my estimation, is the the most prudent approach.


    (back to the topic)
    Many PM's in the area that I've studied also invest/sell -is this typical of a PM company?

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    18y
    Originally posted by Fred S:

    Many PM's in the area that I've studied also invest/sell -is this typically of a PM company?


    This happens all the time. There is a problem with it, though. It creates a conflict of interest for the management company. If they own a duplex in an area and you do as well, who do you think is going to get the most qualified tenants? Whose vacancies do you think will get filled first?

    I've seen this conflict in action, first hand. As such, I recommend anyone considering management should make sure that the company they work with does not own any properties of similar type or in a similar locale.

  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2008 · 801 posts · 61 votes
    18y

    Also, for those who do want to manage their own properties there is no better resource than Leigh Robinson's book entitled Landlording. It shows you step by step how to do it right, what to avoid and how to stay ahead of most tenant nightmare stories you've probably heard. You can get it new for $20 at amazon and it is worth hundreds of times that.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2008 · 89 posts · 15 votes
    18y

    -Posted by Mike
    I can't possibly understand how managing only 40 units could be a full time job. I have a lot more units than that and do essentially ALL the management AND maintenance in about 16 hours per week. The VAST majority of the 16 hours is spent on maintenance and rehabbing, not management.

    Hey Mike,
    your one super guy doing all this in 16hrs. When I manage I'm talking about maintnance, collecting rents, dealing with vendors, doing 1 year leases and having to do them again every year, marketing, etc... I also do evictions... do you do those as well? I spend time in court, I drive by properties, I'm turning over units. Like I said it depends what your situation is, for me its a full-time job! but I do a hell of a good job...

  • Real Estate Investor · Anchorage, AK · Member since 2008 · 63 posts · 3 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by Gene Kardos:
    Gary,
    My compliments on someone finally putting Mike in his place. I get up every morning and read this forum. I have thought for quit some time that this guy is a negative influence on this forum. At times he makes some good points but he strikes me as someone who is fairly successful in this business but gets off on discouraging others from being or attempting to be successful.

    Thanks, Gene. There is no one perfect way to do this stuff. Heck until last May when my mentor drove the point home with me I felt just like Mike. I was using one of my units as my extended stay hotel room so I could be on sight to make sure everything was done just the way I wanted it. Thank goodness my mentor had the patience to work with me until I got it.
  • Real Estate Investor · Anchorage, AK · Member since 2008 · 63 posts · 3 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by Gary Moore:
    Here is the link: [LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN - LINK HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH PROPERTY MANAGEMENT]

    It most certainly did.

    If anyone wants the link just send me a PM. :roll:

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    Ed, yes, I do those things too - sort of. We only do year leases with our nice SFHs and nice duplexes. With all apartments and low income housing, we only do month-to-month. In either case, we don't re-do leases every month or every year. They just revert to a month to month when they expire.

    Yes, I do evictions, but they don't take long here in Ohio. It's rare for them to last longer than 15 minutes. I also do the setouts, if the tenant doesn't get their junk out. The only things I don't do are work on really high roofs; some gas work; and most HVAC (although I'm trying to do away with as many furnaces as possible).

    In your original post, I thought that you were only managing the rentals, which is why I couldn't understand how that could be a full time job.

    Mike

  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2008 · 801 posts · 61 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by Fred S:
    Many PM's in the area that I've studied also invest/sell -is this typical of a PM company?

    Personally, I won't hire one that does not have investments of their own.

    I know, horror stories abound like the one Joshua described. But, it does not happen with the good property management firms.

    A good management firm has more than one property manager, and the really good managers specialize. An agency might have some who are really good at turning around an under performing complex, getting it humming along and then turning it over to someone great at managing on cruise control. With the owner's permission of course. They may also have one or more who specialize in government subsidized housing or housing for a specific target market that carries special tax breaks. There are lots of niches out there and you never want just a property manager. You want the one with the skills, experience and knowledge that fit your circumstance.

    Let me share a case in point, I am taking control of a complex near me on Monday 8/18. I have not personally seen the property, I will either Monday or Tuesday. But, the property manager I have already hired is tightly matched to the needs of the property. She is the best at what she does and what she does is what we need for this complex.

    She has investment properties but she does not manage them. She uses another person in her firm. Why? Because the properties she owns do not need her unique talents. She has already done what she needed to do to get them into shape and humming along. But, when she bought a property like the one I am using her for a couple of years ago, she did her magic before handing it off to someone else.

    Now, apparently some here would call her foolish or maybe even stupid to throw that money away because, clearly she can manage the property as well or better than the one doing it for her.

    But, I know she is brilliant to do that.

    Why?

    Because she is giving up a relatively small amount of money to have the freedom to continue to ply her craft, in this case, for us, while her investments hum along.

    There are lots of other dynamics in this equation too. Like emotions. When an owner walks into an apartment a tenant has trashed they feel violated. They think back to the hours and effort they put into making that unit ready and now they are right back at square one. A property manager, on the other hand, walks in, notes what needs to be done, gets the right people in to do it, deducts the amounts from the damage deposit, files criminal charges if necessary, files a small claims suit if needed, then at the end of the day sits down and had dinner with their spouse and kids and the owner reads the report and does the same thing. No churned stomach, no gnashing of teeth about wanting to squeeze the tenants head until their eyes pop out and they look like the unit did. None of that. Without these emotions, it is just business.
  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y
    Originally posted by Gene Kardos:
    My compliments on someone finally putting Mike in his place. I get up every morning and read this forum. I have thought for quit some time that this guy is a negative influence on this forum. At times he makes some good points but he strikes me as someone who is fairly successful in this business but gets off on discouraging others from being or attempting to be successful.

    Thank you for your service Gene and I have to say, for a Marine I'm surprised you don't see what Mike is up to. I did not go through boot camp so I don't know. You do. Take a second look at his posts and see if you don't see what I see.

    Tim

  • Real Estate Investor · Anchorage, AK · Member since 2008 · 63 posts · 3 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:
    Originally posted by Gene Kardos:
    My compliments on someone finally putting Mike in his place. I get up every morning and read this forum. I have thought for quit some time that this guy is a negative influence on this forum. At times he makes some good points but he strikes me as someone who is fairly successful in this business but gets off on discouraging others from being or attempting to be successful.


    Thank you for your service Gene and I have to say, for a Marine I'm surprised you don't see what Mike is up to. I did not go through boot camp so I don't know. You do. Take a second look at his posts and see if you don't see what I see.

    Tim

    That post reminds me of when a girlfriend I had would whine to me about being mad but not tell me why she was mad and tell me to figure it out. Heck, if I could've figured it out she probably wouldn't of been mad. :roll:

    I don't know what you see in those posts because, like my former girlfriend, you want us to figure it out. However, I will tell you what I see.

    I see someone who cannot understand why anyone would do anything differently than the way he chose to do it. Then on top of that, he can't understand why someone he views as an upstart like me, doesn't see the total and complete wisdom of his ways and do it using the way he is convinced is superior.

    Hey, as I said, if could've figured it out, she wouldn't have been mad and now be an ex-girlfriend. :wink:

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    Let me spell it out for you. What Tim and Wheatie and I and several others try to do is keep thing REAL. Each of us has our own idea of what is REAL, but each of us knows b.s. when we see it. When someone makes claims that are blatantly false, we're going to challenge them every time. The new investors on this site deserve nothing less.

    Take for example, this statement: "...good property management is worth more than their weight in gold they will increase your bottom line NOI not decrease it. Good ones cost you absolutely nothing."

    That is BLATANTLY FALSE! Management is an EXPENSE, regardless of who is doing it. Whether a management company does it or the owner does it, it is an expense. Does spending money on a management company make sense if the owner can't or doesn't want to do the management personally? Yes. Does spending money on a management company make sense if your property is 1,000 miles away? Absolutely. Does spending money on a management company make sense if you are a $500 per hour corporate attorney? Certainly!

    However, does any of that change the fact that management is an EXPENSE? NO, IT DOES NOT!

    In addition, you are a brand new newbie when it comes to multis and paid management. You think that you've found some magic bullet when you don't have enough experience to even make a reasonable assessment. The best that can happen with paid management is that the manager does everything right. In that case, you've spent your management money well. As many others have posted from their personal experience, managers often don't work out well even though the owner has done proper due diligence in picking a manager. Josh has a good article about what happened to him personally (recommended reading, IMO).

    To summarize, I am certainly not against anyone doing things differently than I do. There are MANY ways to invest and many ways to make money. However, what I do object to is someone trying to pass blatantly false information as fact. I (we) will challenge that every time. The newbies on this forum deserve nothing less!

    Mike

  • Rental Property Investor · Twin Cities, MN · Member since 2008 · 94 posts · 10 votes
    18y

    It seems to me that all the arguing going on here between self employment and running a business.

    Obviously, People run successful businesses and obviously, people are successful as one man self employed businesses. Are either a sham? Is one easier than the other? I think those are the questions each person needs to ask themselves.

    The answers are neither are a sham, both can and do work everyday. Is one easier than the other? The truthful and only answer is, it depends on the leader(s).

  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2008 · 801 posts · 61 votes
    18y

    mike_mn is absolutely correct. It is simply a difference between being self employed and building a business that could continue without you if you wanted or needed it to do so.

    There is absolutely nothing wrong with either business model.

  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2008 · 801 posts · 61 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by Michael Rossi:
    When someone makes claims that are blatantly false, we're going to challenge them every time. The new investors on this site deserve nothing less.

    I personally think that is very admirable. Challenging something with facts and data is always a good thing. It provides a learning opportunity in every case.

    Take for example, this statement: "...good property management is worth more than their weight in gold they will increase your bottom line NOI not decrease it. Good ones cost you absolutely nothing."

    That is BLATANTLY FALSE!

    It is not blatantly false. I probably would have phrased it differently than the way Gary did. The only reason anyone would hire any kind of help is if the benefit they receive exceeds the expense of having the help. It is true whether you hire W-2 employees or 1099 contractors. The benefit of having a great property manager is the benefit of having them exceeds their cost to you. This works if your business model lends itself to being able to fully utilize that help to its maximum potential.

    Management is an EXPENSE, regardless of who is doing it. Whether a management company does it or the owner does it, it is an expense. Does spending money on a management company make sense if the owner can't or doesn't want to do the management personally? Yes. Does spending money on a management company make sense if your property is 1,000 miles away? Absolutely. Does spending money on a management company make sense if you are a $500 per hour corporate attorney? Certainly!
    However, does any of that change the fact that management is an EXPENSE? NO, IT DOES NOT!

    In every one of those examples, the benefit of the property manager exceeds their cost. Therefore, when everything washes out, the property manager did not really cost them anything. They were financially better off because they used a property manager. That is, of course, assuming they hired great ones.


    The benefits of a great property manager are in fact, fact. Facts are neat little critters, they don't care who sees them and who doesn't. They don't worry about whether someone believes them or not. The Earth rotated on its axis and revolved around the Sun, our galaxy and the universe long before anyone acknowledged it as fact. Facts just are.

    The newbies on this forum deserve nothing less!

    Mike

    So do the "oldies".
  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    This is just semantics. Of course the property manager cost them something. Whether you hire a horrible property manager or the best one on the planet (or even do the management yourself), it does cost you something! Will hiring a great property manager allow you to make more money than hiring a terrible property manager - yes. Property management is an expense, regardless of who does the management or how well they do it.

    Mike

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.