buying duplex, need to raise rent and ask tenant to leave

buying duplex, need to raise rent and ask tenant to leave

Aaron T.Pro Member
Developer · Aguada, PR · Member since 2014 · 927 posts · 279 votes

I am in the process of closing on a duplex. Both sides are rented, but I plan on living in one side. additionally, they are rented way below market, so i plan on raising the rent by $150-$200 per unit.

When I close, i plan on sending a letter to the tenants with lease renewal information (increased rents), and asking for a letter of intent to renew or move. (Both leases run up 1.july 2.august)

IF both tenants want to stay and are ok with the rent increase, how is the best way to determine who stays or goes? I dont know either tenant or have any affiliation in anyway. they are preexisting to my acquisition.

thoughts?

0Reply
12 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Big Bear Lake, CA · Member since 2013 · 585 posts · 330 votes
    11y

    I would look at all the information you can get on both tenants. Pick the best one. Then send the rent increase notice only to them. If they stay, then it's an easy decision. You can then give the other one the proper notice to vacate.

    If the best one decides to leave, based on the rent increase, then send the letter to the other unit. 

    I would not send both at the same time, in case they both want to stay.

  • Investor · Dubuque, IA · Member since 2015 · 88 posts · 19 votes
    11y

    make sure the one that's up today hasn't already signed a new lease for another year otherwise they are there unless you buy them out of their lease. Also do your background checks and credit checks and everything. See who fits your criteria the best and stick with them if it doesn't matter which unit you're going to live in

  • Aaron T.Pro Member
    OP
    Developer · Aguada, PR · Member since 2014 · 927 posts · 279 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Patrick Donovan:

    make sure the one that's up today hasn't already signed a new lease for another year otherwise they are there unless you buy them out of their lease. Also do your background checks and credit checks and everything. See who fits your criteria the best and stick with them if it doesn't matter which unit you're going to live in

    The leases run up in July and August. They know the building is being sold and will be on a month to month.

    I will do proper screening for the tenant that stays. It does not matter which unit I live in. they will both need a little cosmetic touch ups and I can increase rents to market in the next year or so.

  • Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 174 posts · 51 votes
    11y

    I would also look at which one takes better care of the units. Might be less future problems. 

  • Vendor · NY, NY · Member since 2009 · 175 posts · 52 votes
    11y

    Who has a more stable income? Who has more income? Who has paid the rent on time more often?  Those are the questions I would ask. Damage is harder to assess unless you can do a thorough walk through.

  • Investor · Polk County, FL · Member since 2014 · 144 posts · 36 votes
    11y

    Definitely deciding based on rent record/credit history is best move.  You can run a credit check on them instantly.  Does the prior landlord keep rental payment record?  Congrats on getting this, and managing to live in one of the units!

  • Aaron T.Pro Member
    OP
    Developer · Aguada, PR · Member since 2014 · 927 posts · 279 votes
    11y

    Found out yesterday that the one tenant is moving out at the end of the month, so that made this process an easy decision.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.