How do you categorize earnest money (and eventually the down payment) in accounting software?

How do you categorize earnest money (and eventually the down payment) in accounting software?

System Administrator / Investor · Eugene, OR · Member since 2015 · 144 posts · 29 votes

How do you categorize your earnest money payment (and eventually the rest of the down payment) in accounting software (like Wave or Quickbooks) when purchasing a rental?

I know the down payment isn't tax deductible, but I believe some of the closing costs and such are.  However this question isn't so much about that, just trying to understand the right category for the actual down payment itself (because I don't think it really falls in to an income/expense category).

0Reply
24 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Gita FaustBusiness Member
    Accountant · Richboro - Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2008 · 901 posts · 246 votes
    11y

    @Kevin Trumbull

     Earnest Money falls under Other Current Asset account type. 

    Gita Faust

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.