The Bookkeeping World

The Bookkeeping World

Investor · Hollywood, FL · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 3 votes

As new investors my husband and I are learning as much as we can get our hands on before taking the plunge into our first rental, hopefully beginning of next year.

As we build our team, business plan, and organize finances we realize the tremendous importance of keeping tract of those assets and its financial.

So my question to you all is the following:

-How do you keep track of your assets? Softwares?

(QuickBooks, Buildium, Quickens, Excel?

- What was your decision based on when you made your choice?

Thanks in advance,

Nataly 

0Reply
206 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2015 · 66 posts · 50 votes
11y

We have used all of the softwares you have mentioned. We find the easiest way for us to do it, is to use Excel and Buildium together. The reason why we like Buildium is because we plan on having a Property Management Company one day, and it gives us a way to screen tenants, have online applications, keep track of late payments, and gives us a way for tenants to pay online. Just to name a few. However, I would not recommend Buildium if you have less than 5 properties unless you want to scale very quickly. 

We also use Excel as a quick way to show our lenders our income, and to keep track of expenses and debts. Buildium would also allow you to do this but we haven't gotten comfortable doing it yet. We will attach a photo of our Excel worksheet and if you'd like a copy please let us know. FYI we have deposits under our income column because once you keep the deposits for repairs, it becomes income. Hope this helps.

See this reply in the discussion

62 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2015 · 66 posts · 50 votes
    11y

    @Nathan Waters

    You are welcome let me know if I can change anything.  I can make it exactly the way you want it.

  • Investor · Hollywood, FL · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 3 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jennifer Griffin:

    @Nathan Waters

    You are welcome let me know if I can change anything.  I can make it exactly the way you want it.

     Hey guys, I'll take a copy if you guys don't mind. :)

  • Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2015 · 66 posts · 50 votes
    11y

    @Nataly Llanes

     Shoot me over your email address and I'll send it right over to you . I was thinking of adding a column for mileage. What do you guys think?

  • Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 19 votes
    10y
    Hi Jennifer,

    I really like the way you have this set up.  Would it be okay if you made a copy available to me?  No hard feelings if you say no as I'm sure a LOT of work went into it, but it would really help keep track of everything!

    Thank you!


    Originally posted by @Jennifer Griffin:

    We have used all of the softwares you have mentioned. We find the easiest way for us to do it, is to use Excel and Buildium together. The reason why we like Buildium is because we plan on having a Property Management Company one day, and it gives us a way to screen tenants, have online applications, keep track of late payments, and gives us a way for tenants to pay online. Just to name a few. However, I would not recommend Buildium if you have less than 5 properties unless you want to scale very quickly. 

    We also use Excel as a quick way to show our lenders our income, and to keep track of expenses and debts. Buildium would also allow you to do this but we haven't gotten comfortable doing it yet. We will attach a photo of our Excel worksheet and if you'd like a copy please let us know. FYI we have deposits under our income column because once you keep the deposits for repairs, it becomes income. Hope this helps.

  • Investor · Cathedral City, CA · Member since 2014 · 481 posts · 170 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    QuickBooks allows you to keep track of all the income you make per property.  It keeps track of all the expenses you dished out per property as well,  and then gives you your bottom line. 

    All you do is click on a button, select the property, choose what day you want to see your Profit and Loss per property, (any time of the day or night)  and in a blink of an eye, QuickBooks creates it for you. Print out the Profit and Loss Report just created for you,  and view it or take it with you to the bank if you need proof of your properties and  your bottom line.  (At the end of the year you would print out this Profit and Loss Report and give it to your CPA) 

    You can Customize QuickBooks to tell you whatever you want to know and have it show up on Invoices, and forms as well.

    For instance I have the following data created for every single tenant I have and I have it show up on all the forms I utilize for each individual tenant.  The data is as follows:

    • Rental Amount, 
    • Security Deposit,
    • Date moved in, 
    • Type of Lease, 
    • When Lease Expires,  (And I can have QuickBooks remind me when it is about to expire.
    • And...Move out Date

    For each property I own, I list it in the Fixed Asset Feature of QuickBooks and I customize that as well to tell me the following:

    • The year of the house, 
    • type of house, 
    • where located, 
    • property description, 
    • price I paid, 
    • or sold it for, 
    • taxes, 
    • and so much more. 

    With just a click of a mouse key here and there I can find out everything I need to know about my properties will show up for me just like that!

    I can memorize my invoices that I have created for my tenants for rent that is due to be created by QuickBooks automatically for me every month.  All I have to do is press a key on my keyboard and print it out.  

    There is nothing that I can't keep track of regarding my business in QuickBooks and It just doesn't get any better than that!

    Nancy Neville

     I would say the cons to this all is: QB and spreadsheets deal with the accounting and data gathering. What you really need is the complete automation throughout the Rent Cycle, Vacancy Cycle and Maintenance Cycle.

  • Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2015 · 66 posts · 50 votes
    10y

    Hey @Paloma R.

    Of course we can share this with you. Just send me a private message with your email and we can send it on over. I hope that it works for you and you enjoy it!

  • Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2016 · 245 posts · 436 votes
    10y

    @Jennifer Griffin I'm reading this thread after the fact and am noticing how awesome this spreadsheet is. If you wouldn't mind sending me a link to it, I would be very appreciative!

  • Louisville, KY · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Jennifer Griffin is it still possible to get a copy of your Excel worksheet.

  • Vendor · Rossville, GA · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    As a bookkeeper who specializes in short-term rentals/vacation rentals, I use Hubdoc and Xero. Some of my reports for owners are also made in Excel but given as a PDF. 

    I use these first 2 because they are secure and accessible on any device with internet. 

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    I use Sage 100 however I do have multiple things going on -- 18 rentals, starting to rehab/sell, and consulting. I have more than one LLC. I use the subscription based service so it is more expensive than QB, but I'm comfortable with the software and find it very easy to use. It's very robust software that multi-million dollar companies use.

  • Investor · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 606 posts · 699 votes
    9y

    We own and manage a 6 unit apartment building. I have been using desktop QB 2013 backed up to an external hard drive.  You do not need to upgrade QB every year, unless you have employees and are doing payroll.  We are using QB on the advice of our accountant.  QB is easy to set up and learn, especially with the video tutors that are available on Amazon.  Udemy also has courses -- or you could buy Nancy Neville's wonderful book!

  • Investor · Ridgecrest, CA · Member since 2017 · 246 posts · 120 votes
    9y

    My first property is in escrow now after I made my offer I created a excel worksheet to keep track of all my income and expenses related to the property. It subtracts all expenses from the income and shows me my profits or losses for the month and year. There is also a big red band at the top that changes to green when I have earned more than my initial cash investment.  It even keeps track of the loan subtracting the principal paid each month so I can see how much equity I am building.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.