Inherited Renter smoking vapor & has a cat

Inherited Renter smoking vapor & has a cat

Investor · Livingston, MT · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 0 votes
I recently bought my first set of apts! 13 one bedroom units that were basically all full at closing. I left them under PM for two months and have now taken that over personally. I finally connected with my last renter to get my lease signed. He was very forthright and admitted to getting a cat 1 month before I bought the building. He also commented that he smoked occasionally outside. There was no smell of smoke at all in his apt with all the windows and doors closed. He then tells me that he uses vapor nicotine daily in the apt. Both of these are prohibited in my lease agreement. Is the vapor nicotine something to worry about? I am thinking that at this point I need to encourage him to find a new place to take his cat and his habit to live. To me dealing with inherited tenants is a bit more challenging than with tenants who signed the lease before moving in. The last PM was very laid back. Thanks for the feedback ahead of time!
0Reply
48 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    11y

    I would be forthright with the renter regarding your concerns. How long has he been a tenant? A lax PM company, or owner, can encourage all kinds of behavior that isn't optimal for you - did they have preexisting leases? What does his current lease say (if it exists)? 

    I would probably take a harder line being that it is an apartment complex than I might in a SFH. You cannot reasonably allow one renter to have a cat and smoke anything inside and prohibit 12 others from doing the same.

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Real Estate Broker · Fairfield, CT · Member since 2015 · 312 posts · 231 votes
    11y

    @Nate Baumann let me start by saying I vape myself - I quit smoking and switched to vapor over a year ago without one cigarette since! Its fantastic! Smoking vapor is not smoking. The "smoke" you see us exhale is water vapor - and its not even from the liquid in the tube - it is moisture drawn from the air by a piece inside called an atomizer. The moisture in the air is condensed into a water vapor and heated up, then it passes through the liquid nicotine. This allows the water vapor to become the delivery device for the nicotine. We inhale water vapor that is laden with nicotine, the nicotine is absorbed by our lungs, and we exhale the water vapor, which dissipates back into the air from which it started.

    It is completely harmless to your apartment, will cause absolutely no damage, smell, nothing. Cannot speak for the cat. lol

  • Investor · Livingston, MT · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    11y
    Thank you for both of your insights!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.