Section 8 tenant died and i'm not sure what to do

Section 8 tenant died and i'm not sure what to do

Charleston, WV · Member since 2015 · 41 posts · 4 votes

She passed away a couple of weeks ago. I called section 8, and they are telling me that I have to wait until they decide who will take over her voucher as head of household (since the deceased had a son who was a minor on the lease). They told me this process could take a few weeks to a month.

Meanwhile the tenant did not pay her portion of the rent for July and August because she was in the hospital. On top of that, her oldest son (26 years old) has moved into the place to take care of the youngest son. He wants to take over the lease and live there. He said works construction and can easily pay the rent.

On top of that, I did talk with the deceased sister who told me that I should not rent to the oldest son because he is involved in questionable dealings (a bad cookie if you know what I mean).

I am confused on what to do here... Can anyone give me some advice? It would be greatly appreciated.

0Reply
29 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Hartsdale, NY · Member since 2015 · 874 posts · 218 votes
    11y

    Social Service might be involved here.  How old is the youngest son? There probably will be social security income for  the family. 

    Probably under these circumstances section 8 will still be involved with the family and your apartment and you will have a minimun of input. 

    Sounds like you will have to roll with the punches and see what the next action is.You certainly can ask section 8 if they will continue to be involved with the family and the payment of the rent. 

    Consider tht the sister and the brother both know that there will be socil security income here and that might be coloring some of the disagreements between the 2 older siblings.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.