Fire damage by tenant - can they be liable for the deductible

Fire damage by tenant - can they be liable for the deductible

Willis, MI · Member since 2013 · 4 posts · 1 vote

I'm asking this question for a relative so unfortunately I don't have all the specifics.  Tenant was working in the garage on the property and started a fire.  The garage was a complete loss and the landlord's insurance policy covers the damages, less a $1000 deductible.  Can the tenant be liable for the deductible?  I don't know if the tenant has renters insurance or how the lease is worded.

I'm suggesting the landlord contact his attorney and his insurance company  but I thought I'd ask the experts on BiggerPockets!

Thank you, in advance, for your help!

0Reply
16 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jason BottPro Member
    Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Kristi R. They can be.  If they have renters insurance, there is a chance the renters policy would cover the entire claim.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.