Real Estate Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2008 · 19 posts · 0 votes
I'm currently paying $1300 renting a good apartment in Sacramento, CA. Could I likely find something cheap enough to make it worth moving. Or, stay put.
There's 3 adults in our household: 1 can't find work, 1 works part-time. But we do have $20,000 in savings.
I'm taking into concideration:
- moving expense and time
- location and crime
- Cheaper places are likely to have other expenses
And are the ads for $1000 rentals just scams or really bad areas?
Are rents likely to go down or up as the economy getts worse?
I was also thinking - If I could somehow buy a home, then if I can't pay the mortgage, maybe I can get in on one of those bailouts(half joking). If I go broke as a renter, I suppose I'm screwed.
Real Estate Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2008 · 228 posts · 13 votes
17y
You get for what you pay for. If you can save extra money, I would move and save the rest for a house. Unless your happy renting a nice place. If you want to buy a home, look into FHA loan, requires 3% downpament. Houses in Sac should be pretty cheap.