Cap Heat - (in MN or other cold winter states)

Cap Heat - (in MN or other cold winter states)

Real Estate Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2008 · 37 posts · 7 votes

I have 4 plex in which I pay heat. gas. The 4 units have digital thermostats that are capped to 72F.

Is this legal? Does anyone know what the minimum cap is? especially in Minnesota? I'm searching online and can't find any reference.

To be clear of my intentions: I'm not interested in setting it to the absolute lowest... rather I hope to say something like: "legally I can cap it at 68 degrees, but since I'm such a nice guy, i'm capping it at 72. if you'd like the cap adjusted higher than 72, it's an extra $25/month per additional degree in temperature"

Thoughts?

0Reply
25 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    Todd,

    The tenants don't have to pay even an extra penny to run the temperature at any number they like. If you cap the temperature, all they have to do is set an re-freezable ice bag on the thermostat and they can have any temperature they like. Personally, I won't own rentals if I have to pay the heat.

    Good Luck,

    Mike

  • Real Estate Agent · Circleville, OH · Member since 2008 · 633 posts · 488 votes
    17y

    I agree with mike, but unfortunately I own a apartment that is set up so I have to pay for heat (Only one meter).

    I have a locked box for the thermostat, I set it, and it's got a rather large casing, so HOPEFULLY setting a bag of ice like mike says won't happen (Although they could pick the lock).

    I think it'd be more advantageous to try and figure out how to get the gas split up than to keep paying it.

  • Real Estate Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2008 · 37 posts · 7 votes
    17y

    Yeah, I've heard about the ice bag trick. I've heard of some LL putting cages around the thermostat, so the ice bag trick won't be as effective... keeps the bag of ice further away from the thermometer.

    Reminds me of the pantyhose trick when using coin operated laundry.

    But, anyhow, my question is about the legality of caps rather than tenants who break rules.

    I appreciate the responses, but can anyone comment on the legality of caps?

    Todd

  • Investor · Bellefonte, PA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 88 votes
    17y

    You need to check the laws in your state. In my state in my local I am required to keep the temp at 68 degs as long as the outside temp is above 10 degs. That is all the heating power I need to provide. The system I just put in though is designed to keep that temp up to -20 deg.

    As a side note I keep my house at 68 deg. I usually run the apartment building at 70.

    -Michael

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.