Maintenance - is prior tenant pet presence/cleaning included?

Maintenance - is prior tenant pet presence/cleaning included?

Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 2 votes

Hello all,

We recently purchased and rented out a town-home, and discovered that after the tenant had moved in, signed lease - that although we had cleaned the place (basic carpet, windows, walls, counters etc.) we didn't know the prior owner had pets (apparently).  The new tenant found pet hair (dog), and their child was allergic - so they requested we replace the carpet (or deep clean). 

Since we didn't explicitly call out our definition of "clean" in our lease, and we didn't know the full prior history, to retain our tenant, we agreed to address the issue.

So I wanted to ask here, how do you define a clean unit - like are things like window hangings, area behind appliances included?  Also on the pet thing, even if we do not explicitly sign-off on tenants having pets, sometimes visitors (even tenants) can bring animals in without us knowing 100% there haven't been any.

Thanks for your advice,

-Rick.

0Reply
14 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Americus, GA · Member since 2014 · 22 posts · 18 votes
    10y

    Since no one has responded, I'll take a stab: I take great pain in explaining to people that my units are what I consider "clean" when they move in, but my mother's version of clean might be a higher standard. I give them a week to find out any problems they might have, but I make it clear to them that I will either fix the problems or note it as "previous damage" on their report with respect to their damage deposit.

    When there is a dispute, I often try and work out a solution. In your case, in the renting process, the tenant stated, "my son is allergic to dog hair. The apartment must be 100% free of this," I'd probably do what she says since renting her the place with that understanding something I agreed to provide.

    If that is not the case, I explain to the tenant that I rented the place at a price with the existing carpet, appliances, etc. I then agree to whatever changes they want if they either agree to a new lease at a higher price, or pay a percentage of the cost of the repair. I've found this to be a much better way of handling the situation than just saying no.

    Let me add that I had the following exchange with a tenant: I provide a lot of safety lighting at my units, but I had a single female ask me for additional lighting on her place. I gave her the speech above, and she said she would pay for it. I thought about this and decided to put it in at my expense because she was a good tenant who didn't feel safe at my property.

  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 110 posts · 29 votes
    10y

    Because of my wife having allergies I am generally more sensitive to such things than the average landlord/tenant, but I would generally say that if you are renting an unfurnished place then you should clean all surfaces and deep clean carpet.  Make sure you check everywhere for possible issues, I had to fight with a previous landlord over there being mouse droppings hidden in a couch.

    Aside from that, I would just make sure prospective tenants understand what you mean by clean.  Set a standard and stick to it.  If she mentions her child being really allergic, then either go ahead and steam clean or talk to her about an extra cost for doing so.  Everything is a negotiation, but some things you just do to be a nice guy or because you feel it is your obligation as the landlord.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.