CAN lights in bedrooms instead of ceiling fans?

CAN lights in bedrooms instead of ceiling fans?

Venky B.Pro Member
Real Estate Agent · Peoria, IL · Member since 2015 · 76 posts · 20 votes

I heard in one of the podcast to use CAN lights instead of ceiling fans in order to avoid maintenance later. My question is "Do we need to put CAN lights in bedrooms?" If so, how many CAN lights should be there a minimum in a bedroom to look good.

Thanks,

Venky

0Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10y

Always disliked the recessed cans as they

  • don't disperse light as nicely which is why you need more
  • w/o the LED bulbs, they add heat and energy
  • need lots of work to install PROPERLY and to code (heat and spacing issues)
See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Strafford, MO · Member since 2015 · 181 posts · 61 votes
    10y

    We put 4 cans and a fan in each bedroom (new construction).  

  • Strafford, MO · Member since 2015 · 181 posts · 61 votes
    10y

    Fan without a light kit.

  • HVAC Tech · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2015 · 423 posts · 223 votes
    10y

    I would think that would be a judgement call, depending on a few different things. Room size, bulb type, fanciness, etc. I heard that podcast also, I do like the idea. What number was it again? 

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 570 posts · 521 votes
    10y

    Why install multiple can lights when a single surface mounted ceiling light will do the trick for 10% of the cost, unless you're going for a high end look of course?

  • Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Mike F.:

    Why install multiple can lights when a single surface mounted ceiling light will do the trick for 10% of the cost, unless you're going for a high end look of course?

     My thought too. I hate cans, they've become the default ugly lighting everywhere.  I buy cheap fans at Walmart for $50-60, they look great, sell the place, and I've had no maintenance issues. Same in the kitchen,  I've been running a wire from the ceiling box to the cabs and installing cheap LED under cabinet lighting that goes on with the overhead.

  • Venky B.Pro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Peoria, IL · Member since 2015 · 76 posts · 20 votes
    10y

    Thank you everyone for your inputs. Appreciate it. Sorry, I don't remember the podcast number.

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    If I'm rehabbing I install four 6" LED's to a master bedroom (when Value had them on sale for $6.95 I bought 50). I put 2 above the bedhead area with a switch/dimmer near the headboard. I also put a 3-way switch for the fan at the headboard. The other 2 LED's are at the b/rm entry side with a switch at the doorway. 

    Smaller bedroom get 2 6inch LED's.

  • Venky B.Pro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Peoria, IL · Member since 2015 · 76 posts · 20 votes
    10y
    Thank you Pat!!!
  • Contractor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 651 posts · 510 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Johann Jells:
    Originally posted by @Mike F.:

    Why install multiple can lights when a single surface mounted ceiling light will do the trick for 10% of the cost, unless you're going for a high end look of course?

     My thought too. I hate cans, they've become the default ugly lighting everywhere.  I buy cheap fans at Walmart for $50-60, they look great, sell the place, and I've had no maintenance issues. Same in the kitchen,  I've been running a wire from the ceiling box to the cabs and installing cheap LED under cabinet lighting that goes on with the overhead.

     When everything you use is "cheap" does that mean your sale price is cheap too?

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    Always disliked the recessed cans as they

    • don't disperse light as nicely which is why you need more
    • w/o the LED bulbs, they add heat and energy
    • need lots of work to install PROPERLY and to code (heat and spacing issues)
  • Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Johann Jells:
    Originally posted by @Mike F.:

    Why install multiple can lights when a single surface mounted ceiling light will do the trick for 10% of the cost, unless you're going for a high end look of course?

     My thought too. I hate cans, they've become the default ugly lighting everywhere.  I buy cheap fans at Walmart for $50-60, they look great, sell the place, and I've had no maintenance issues. Same in the kitchen,  I've been running a wire from the ceiling box to the cabs and installing cheap LED under cabinet lighting that goes on with the overhead.

     When everything you use is "cheap" does that mean your sale price is cheap too?

     These are rentals, and no, I think in my market I've added value with an amenity that I'll be responsible for if it craps out. No prospective renter of a <$2000 unit looks at a fan and thinks "that's a $60 fan not a $200 fan". My tenants are thrilled with my renos.  And I've seen $500k condos around here with $350 ranges.

  • Blue Springs, MO · Member since 2015 · 481 posts · 313 votes
    10y

    Disclaimer: I am not a professional electrician.

    One way to answer "how many light fixtures do I need" is to test it out.  Buy one or two can lights and bulbs for them.  Wire a short cord with a plug to each light, and then use extension cords to plug the lights into the wall.  Hold them up next to the ceiling in your bedroom, switch off the existing light, and see what you think.  This will show you about how much the light spreads out by the time it gets to the bed and the floor, so you can decide on the spacing.  (The lights have to be properly wired when permanently installed; using the plug and extension cord is just for testing.)

    If you buy can lights for an existing house, make sure you get ones rated "insulation contact" or "IC".  These are safe for the attic insulation to touch.  It is possible to get lights rated "non insulation-contact", but for those, you have to build a box around the fixture up in the attic if you ever want to add insulation.

    Also, if you get can lights that take incandescent or compact fluorescent bulbs, install the correct bulbs - usually reflector bulbs.  You can put a "regular" bulb in it (like you would use in a table lamp), but then you get a very narrow beam of light directly underneath the can light, instead of a spread-out beam that you would get from a reflector bulb.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.