Tenant cloud and cozy.co

Tenant cloud and cozy.co

Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2014 · 27 posts · 7 votes
Hello everyone! I am shopping for an online rent company. Does anyone have any experience with cozy.co and tenant cloud? I would love a comparison of the two. Any and all opinions welcome!
2Reply
107 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 65 posts · 25 votes
10y

I'm using both as well, and they both have their pros and cons. TenantCloud gives you a free landlord / company website, which is nice. (Coincidentally, I was going to post a link to my TenantCloud site, but I just went there and it's down! Oops! Looks like their whole site is down. I submitted a ticket.) Anyway, from your website, prospective tenants can find your current listings and apply online. The problem is, I don't really like their online application, and you can't really edit it. You can add some Yes/No questions, but you can't add any text field questions. I also don't like the prospective tenant's process to complete the application. First they have to create a TenantCloud account, wait for a confirmation email, click on a link in that to confirm, and then start the application. Then, it's just not intuitive for the user to complete.

Then, the real problem is it doesn't include credit checks. Just recently they added background checks, but still no credit checks. So, after filling out the application I'd have to make the prospective tenant go and fill out something else to get a credit check. Too much trouble.

Cozy has a more simple and intuitive application and process, and it includes the credit and background check. So the prospective tenant fills one thing out and you get everything you need. I still have some complaints abut their application. (It has things like employment and rental history marked as "optional," and I can't change that. Hello!?! Those should be required fields, or at least I should have the option of making them required!) Still, it's pretty decent overall.

Cozy has web pages for individual listings, but no "company" or "landlord" website. So, I can't have a single URL to give people or put on my yard signs or business cards so people can see all of my available inventory.

So, I end up using TenantCloud for my main website and Cozy for the application / background / credit checks. The problem is, there is an "Apply Now" button on each listing on the TenantCloud website, which goes to their application, and I can't disable it. So I get some people filling out that application, and then I have to direct send them the Cozy link and apply there. 

Basically, if Cozy would provide a company / landlord website, it would be a good one-stop shop. Similarly, if TenantCloud would offer credit checks and improve their application and process, it could also be a good one-stop shop.

As for electronic payments, I'm using QuickBooks. I hear Cozy payments are pretty decent, too, but kind of slow. As @Dale Stevens said, TenantCloud payments just ties in Dwolla or Paypal. I also don't use TenantCloud's accounting features because I use QuickBooks for that, too. 

See this reply in the discussion

61 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · North Saint Paul , MN · Member since 2014 · 78 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    thanks for responding Jordann. 

    Right now I use Cozy for few unit and I do use the express pay out . I mostly use Tenannt cloud for my management but I would love to switch over to Cozy completely when you guy release the work order request and file upload.

  • Gita FaustBusiness Member
    Accountant · Richboro - Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2008 · 901 posts · 246 votes
    9y

    If you do use QuickBooks - ACH is only .50 cents or use an integrated software that automates everything from sending emails to applying the payments to the invoices.

  • Highland, UT · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 3 votes
    8y

    I've used Cozy and Tenant Cloud. 

    TC is more robust and can be a one-stop solution for most PM needs. Cozy is more simple, but rock solid.

    I think one of the biggest oversights of Tenant Cloud is the lack of an Auto-pay (ACH) option. I've had some back and forth with their support team and over a year ago they said that an "auto-pay" option is coming soon. A recent email says that they don't know when it will come. 

    Getting paid is the most important part of landlording. That's why we do this! The optimal PM software in my book is the one that does the best job minimizing the friction to getting money from my tenants to my account. 

    Because of the comprehensive nature of TenantCloud, I'd prefer to use it. 

    Because of the auto-pay feature available to my tenants in Cozy, this is the software we use.

  • Specialist · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 611 votes
    8y
    @Lindsay Repp Both are solid and it seems everytime I say I like one better for a feature the other on gets it. Last I checked however tenantcloud provides more properties to manage free so if you plan to manage when you get more units it is a cost savings but I'd recommend a better platform. I went with Cozy initially because I did not like how tenantcloud made the maintenance request feature too easy but then Cozy started offering it too. I also felt cozy was slightly more user friendly but really I would say pros and cons are so close go with the one easier to use.
  • Specialist · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Mike Makkar:

    @Mike McGee, yes! I'm a disgruntled Quickbooks mac user as well. I used it for another business and yuck!

    I bet Cozy appeals to mac users out there! They've nailed the beautiful human interface part!

    Now, only if I can just get them to deliver on Item #1 through #5 on my wish list!

     What are items # 1-5 on your wish list? ;)

  • Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    My property manager uses TC, so I receive rents directly to my bank acct

    each month. It is easy to use and has both computer and mobile APP to

    monitor activity. It helps eliminate a trip to the bank each month.

    However,

    they hold the money in limbo for 10+ days. My PM gets the rents to his

    account on the 5th of each month, then it percolates for 10 - 15 days

    until it transfers into my bank.

    I didn't think the interest

    rates were attractive enough to profit from the float. I suppose it is

    the "volume" that makes it worth it for TC

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.