Renting out basement in Prince George's County. MD

Renting out basement in Prince George's County. MD

Vendor · Maryland (MD) · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 3 votes

Hi, I'm currently in the process of buying a home that includes a completely separate basement apartment. I have some questions and was hoping someone might be able to point me in the direction of a PM company that may offer a consultation? I plan to live in the home and would like to manage it myself but want to get a few questions answered. Thank you!

Megan

1Reply
89 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
7y
Originally posted by @Jaime S.:

Hello, I am new to BP and I would like to know the restrictions in the county as well. Also I would like to know the steps (or the link) to get certified/licensed to rent out my basement.

 The technical term for that is called an Accessory Dwelling Unit. They are basically a no go. You need to go to DC or Montgomery County to have one legally.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor & Investor · DC & MD, MD · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    That's actually a great idea. Rental landlords now needs a license to rent properties, if not, it could cost you up to $1000/month for not complying. Landoring is a great investment strategy, however, dealing with PM can be overwhelming without proper training on dealing with evictions, collecting rent on time, screening potential tenants, repairs etc,,,

    What is exactly your questions you need answered?

  • Vendor · Maryland (MD) · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Well, I have some questions about the specific property as well as the need for a occupancy certificate. Does it still count as rental if you are living in the home as well? I read there are rules about how many  unrelated people can live with you without the need to be certified. That being said, I would prefer to be correctly licensed. Do you know how to best go about this? 

  • Vendor · Maryland (MD) · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Also, there are completely separate utilities , entrance, and appliances but the upstairs thermostat does control the temperature for both units. Will that fly? Additionally, for a license are you required to have egress windows?

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 374 posts · 120 votes
    10y

    Egress windows have to do with building codes, not whether it's a rental.  More specifically, it has to do with that room is being used as living space.  So even if your child uses that as her bedroom, it would need egress windows. 

  • Hyattsville, MD · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    9y

    Is there any update on this? I am very interested in renting out the basement as separate unit on a property -- but have been told that there are restrictions on that in the County

  • Member since 2015 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    Looking for an answer on this as well. Megan covered the exact situation as an occupying landlord renting to say one or two people is an occupancy certificated needed? More specifically in Prince Georges County if anyone has info.

  • District of Columbia, WA · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    Following this....hopefully someone answers. I have the same question.

  • Prince George's County · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Hello, I am new to BP and I would like to know the restrictions in the county as well. Also I would like to know the steps (or the link) to get certified/licensed to rent out my basement.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jaime S.:

    Hello, I am new to BP and I would like to know the restrictions in the county as well. Also I would like to know the steps (or the link) to get certified/licensed to rent out my basement.

     The technical term for that is called an Accessory Dwelling Unit. They are basically a no go. You need to go to DC or Montgomery County to have one legally.

  • Prince George's County · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Russell Brazil thank you!

  • Member since 2018 · 57 posts · 25 votes
    6y

    This is an outdated article, but gives some insight. Looks like the county attempted to turn the corner and allow them. 

    It’s interesting because you see them all the time. Does the county and code enforcement just turn a blind eye?

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/g...

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Michael Bridgett:

    This is an outdated article, but gives some insight. Looks like the county attempted to turn the corner and allow them. 

    It’s interesting because you see them all the time. Does the county and code enforcement just turn a blind eye?

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/g...

     No blind eye. Takes just a neighbor to complain then housing department shuts them down.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.