How do you screen a contractor and handyman?

How do you screen a contractor and handyman?

Pompano Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 20 votes

HI guys, I am in the process of buying a new condo to rent out and I know it needs some work done to get it ready. What are some of the questions you ask prospect contractors or handyman in order to determine whether they are not going to rip you off?

0Reply
103 views

Most Popular Reply

Broker · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 351 posts · 273 votes
10y

Last week I was interviewing for a new contractor. I was ready to hire a guy who seemed very knowledgeable, and professional. While vetting his info, I checked his ROC license number, but his name did not match. I googled his name, and up came a news release about him going to prison for unlicensed contracting and theft (stealing large upfront deposits, and never doing any work). He was just recently released. Be careful. Good luck.

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    10y

    The best way to screen contractors is to get a referral to one.  If someone has done right by someone you know, they will likely do right by you.  I am in a situation right now where I am the listing agent on a property.  We had needed to get the floors on the main level refinished. This was clearly a $2,000 job...probably a $1,500 estimate and with inevitable overrun of replacing boards that would come up, it would go to $2,000. My seller insisted on getting multiple quotes to get the job done. He ended up using someone that threw out a $1,000 low ball, while the people I referred to him came in too high for my seller (but right where I told him the estimate would be). Flooring guy had great angies list reviews, and the contractors I referred had no reviews anywhere. (Yeah that is because people who have to work hard to generate business focus on reviews, and great contractors work by referral and you will never find a review of). Well this $1,000 job is turning into a $4,000 job....so in his attempt to save money, he is going to end up spending twice as much out of pocket.

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    10y

    The problem with the "guaranty fund"  I believe it is still at a $ 5000. maximum you can collect .  Now it hasnt gone up much if at all since it was started .   5 grand was a nice sum in the 1970's . Doesnt buy much in the area of home improvements today . 

    The movie   " Tin Men " was based on the Maryland Home Improvement Commission . 

  • Frederick, MD · Member since 2015 · 654 posts · 256 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Matthew Paul:

    The problem with the "guaranty fund"  I believe it is still at a $ 5000. maximum you can collect .  Now it hasnt gone up much if at all since it was started .   5 grand was a nice sum in the 1970's . Doesnt buy much in the area of home improvements today . 

    The movie   " Tin Men " was based on the Maryland Home Improvement Commission . 

    It is $20K per claimant now, $100K aggregate for any one contractor. Nonetheless, to your point, $20K doesn't buy much in terms of project work in a good chunk of MD.  I find it funny (tongue firmly planted in cheek) that the MHIC's policy on this does little to encourage investors to use licensed contractors...

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    10y

     Ok it did go up quite a bit    The commission  little to encourage " Harry homeowner " to use licensed contractors .  The uneducated consumer is their own worst enemy . 

  • Towson, MD · Member since 2015 · 161 posts · 44 votes
    10y

    I am a beginner, but I was just listening to a podcast today, Justin Silverio Podcast 058. One thing that sticks out in my mind is to make sure you get a copy of their driver's license so you validate they are who they say they are. Justin had been in the process of a lawsuit where the contractor had defrauded several clients and used fake referrals who were family members. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.