Does anybody add utility charges?

Does anybody add utility charges?

Investor · Henderson, NC · Member since 2016 · 484 posts · 208 votes

I have a large industrial building with a handful of different tenants. The building only has one incoming power meter from the utility, and then there are individual submeters for each tenant.

As a result of this, the single power bill I get is very large, and I get cheaper power because we are on an industrial rate schedule. The average small power consumer pays 11 cents per kilowatt in my area, but I only pay about 7.5 cents per kilowatt in bulk. 

I charge the tenants what the power company would charge them based on their own usage. This results in me earning a few hundred bucks each month when I pay the electric bill. I'm also taking the risk that if a tenant does not pay, I still have to pay the electric company. (and I have been left with a big bill before)

I'm curious if anybody does anything like this in a residential setting? I am interested in buying an apartment building, and I'm thinking the same method should work there. In my industrial building the only utility is power, no gas or water (on a well), but I'm looking at an apartment building with 7 gas, power, and water meters. I could potentially submeter all 3 utilities.

I've never owned or lived in an apartment before. How is power billing usually taken care of? Is it most common for each unit just to have it's own meter and pay the utility directly?

0Reply
111 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
10y

I assume it's industrial commercial, no apartments. But it's the same if you had residential units too.

Guess what, you charging more than the actual cost of utilities just put you in the utility services business, you are a utility provider, you have no idea of the federal and state regulations you just got involved in, besides being an unregulated utility provider! 

I suggest you divide the usage as to the actual use and charge no more than the actual cost at your rate, commercial tenants are business people, not uninformed residential tenants, if they wanted to they could nail you as a utility provider and compliance requirements for providing services. You really don't want to be a utility provider for a few cents on a KW! Don't believe me, call your utility commission and see what they say! Good luck :)

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Henderson, NC · Member since 2016 · 484 posts · 208 votes
    10y

    Did you miss the part where that does not apply to buildings built before 1977? How many times do I have to say this?

    And yet again I point out, individual meters are not required under the law in pre 1977 buildings. That makes it impossible to bill "actual" usage. You cannot find "actual" usage with a math formula. The best you could ever hope for is a close guess.

  • Investor · Henderson, NC · Member since 2016 · 484 posts · 208 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Wade Sikkink:

    We have this situation in our building.  First of all, the building is served by propane for heat and hot water.  No meters of any kind for the propane.  There is a 2000 gallon tank on the property that serves the building.  We get the bill from the propane company when the tank is filled.  The previous owner set up a system of charging a flat rate to each apartment each month for the propane service.  Conceptually it's like being put on a budget system by the gas company.  And legally it's considered part of their rent since the amount is fixed and disclosed upfront.

    Second, we have individual electric meters in the building, but the city won't read them.  There is one meter on the outside of the building that they read every month and send us the bill (along with water and sewer).  There are 15 meters in the basement (14 apartments and one for the house).  I read those meters every month on the same day that our outside meter gets read.  I then produce a utility statement for each tenant that has their propane budget amount and their electric meter reading amount.  The previous owner had a formula he used to calculate the electric usage amount for each apartment based on their meter reading.

    I had this same concern about being considered a "utility provider" so I met with my attorney to discuss it and get his opinion if doing this is okay.  By the way, whether or not you make a profit is immaterial.  You can be "in the business" if you make a profit or not, so that argument above doesn't matter.  If it's okay to resell something at a loss, then it's also okay to resell it at a profit.

    In my state, this issue is not addressed in landlord-tenant law.  There is no prohibition against re-selling any services other than sewer.  It specifically says you cannot re-bill sewer services, because they are never metered.  There are also a bunch of rules around water services because as everyone knows they are frequently a subject of dispute between landlords and tenants.  However, nothing regarding gas or electric service.

    In Nebraska, municipalities often run their own electric utility services, and as such have pretty much complete authority to set the rules of how utilities operate within their jurisdiction.  Since the city refuses to read the meters inside my building, they are thereby granting me approval to read the meters and bill the tenants.  The one rule they have to follow is that they have to provide service in the city and the rates have to be "reasonable"  I also have to do those two things.  I have to provide service (duh, that's what landlords have to do anyway) and I have to charge a reasonable rate.  This is also no different than apartment complexes making deals with cable TV companies to provide service to the building and then re-selling that service to the tenants either at a profit or a loss.  Cable TV is also a regulated industry.

    Bottom line is that just like everything else in real estate, local laws vary considerably.  Utilities are very local and all the rules are set locally.  Check with your attorney to find out what's legal in your area and be wary of people on message boards spewing about how something is absolutely this or definitely that.

     I appreciate the actual experienced advice. More proof that there is in fact no federal laws regarding this.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Did you miss the part where that does not apply to buildings built before 1977? How many times do I have to say this?

    And yet again I point out, individual meters are not required under the law in pre 1977 buildings. That makes it impossible to bill "actual" usage. You cannot find "actual" usage with a math formula. The best you could ever hope for is a close guess.

    Hey Ryan, You seem really worked up over this. You went to effort to sign up on BiggerPockets to talk about this issue and you phrased your question like you wanted input from others. You are really closed to other ideas that don't support your own view, so why are you here? I read the link you provided and it says that INDIVIDUAL meters are not required for buildings prior to 1977. We agree on that. You read that to mean you can bill people however you want if the building is older than 1977 and I don't see that. My point is you cannot find actual usage and you cannot make a close guess. We will agree to disagree. I cannot make you read the links I sent you, but one link is from the NC state PUC and the other is the state electrical provider. I am sure you would acknowledge those sources are more reliable than me. The links are there to help you. There is really nothing else I can say. Good luck and welcome to BP!

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Can't we all just get along? ;)

    Going back to the original post, I think the answer to the question "I'm curious if anybody does anything like this in a residential setting?" is 'No'. This would be a question for NCUC or someone authoritative to answer definitively, but given what I've seen I'd stand by my prior post that "I would be leery of rating electric service unless the rating is explicitly spelled out in the lease." If you charge what you paid (same rate as your costs) I think you would fit within statutory and utility commission guidelines. My opinion only. My opinion is based on two cases before an NC judge where a tenant contested landlord-paid utility charges, per my earlier post. But my case was residential and not master metered.

    Joe, you are a sharp guy. And I appreciate your posts. That's the great thing about BP... lots of sharp people can have an intelligent conversation. The links to NCUC and state law are the best references, IMO. In two of your three references, specifically the "second law firm" reference and Apartment Association of North Carolina links, I couldn't imagine why they didn't reference NCGS 143-151.42(b)(2) which is the exemption I've referenced a few times. The reason is these references are outdated. The current law in NC, which was amended by NC SB545 signed by our Republican NC Gov. McCrory, is below:

    I'm not sayng that the AANC or attorney advice is wrong, quite the contrary. It is just outdated relative to NC statutes.

    This post is for entertainment: Not to be construed as legal advice.

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    Tenants beware! If @Account Closedever becomes your landlord in a separately metered apartment, DEMAND that your lease require YOU to directly pay utilities to the provider!

    (I never thought Tenants should prefer that, but now)...

  • Greensboro, NC · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    WOW!  thanks for the info Brent

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.