Landlord Insurance

Landlord Insurance

Investor · Sterling, VA · Member since 2014 · 24 posts · 17 votes

I am currently looking for a new insurance broker to help me out with my properties in Baltimore, MD.  Does anyone have any good recommendations?  Thanks!

0Reply
72 views

Most Popular Reply

Jason BottPro Member
Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y

@Brandon Battle When calling new agents, just say "I have a ____ Unit Rental Dwelling I need insured".  They will get you the right policy.

Typically 1-4 unit buildings will be on a Dwelling Fire policy, while 5 units and greater will be on a Commercial policy or Business Owners Policy (BOP)

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mesa, AZ · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Eliza:

    I am an insurance broker myself. We have a program specifically for rental properties. Our coverages are tough to beat and the cost is very competative. I would be happy to get you a quote. Our progran is available nationwide.

    Feel free to contact me anytime!

    • Investor · Potomac Maryland · Member since 2020 · 81 posts · 46 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Preston Wengert:

      Eliza:

      I am an insurance broker myself. We have a program specifically for rental properties. Our coverages are tough to beat and the cost is very competative. I would be happy to get you a quote. Our progran is available nationwide.

      Feel free to contact me anytime!

      I want to contact you.

  • Laguna Hills, CA · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    Hello folks.  I am a new landlord, and this idea of "Landlord Insurance" is foreign to me.  Why would you need separate insurance from Homeowners insurance?  Thank you for any info.

  • Jason BottPro Member
    Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Kurt K. Basic answer,

    A Homeowners policy is set up to insure an owner occupied building.  It excludes business operations (renting it out for income).

    Landlord Insurance, ( this name is not used by all insurance companies) covers properties that are not owner occupied.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Buena Park, CA · Member since 2016 · 743 posts · 424 votes
    10y
    Jason Bott please tell us newbees what is the proper term for "Landlord Insurance" so we know what exactly to ask for when calling an agent.
  • Investor · Hyattsville, MD · Member since 2012 · 822 posts · 441 votes
    10y

    it's called "fire dwelling" coverage in insurance parlance. It covers the structure, the liability associated with renting to long term tenants, lost rental income if there were to be a total loss or uninhabitable and personal property (appliances are considered personal property and are not automatically covered unless you add coverage). Any broker knows what insurance you need when you tell them you are renting out the property long term.

  • Jason BottPro Member
    Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Brandon Battle When calling new agents, just say "I have a ____ Unit Rental Dwelling I need insured".  They will get you the right policy.

    Typically 1-4 unit buildings will be on a Dwelling Fire policy, while 5 units and greater will be on a Commercial policy or Business Owners Policy (BOP)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.