rental flooring

rental flooring

Real Estate Investor · Myrtle creek , OR · Member since 2008 · 343 posts · 13 votes

I have a property in a low income rental area. The kitchen has vct tiles which are cracked and worn.A HUD inspection for section 8 won't allow this..Can I simply replace the bad tiles even though they may not perfictly match.? How much would tthe tacky looking floor affect tthe marketability of the unit.If I were to replace the entire area what wouild my best option be? There are also area's of hardwood which look a little worn.Are there cheaper options to protect these floors and make them look nicer without a total refinish? Thanks for your suggestions, Jim

0Reply
30 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    Jim,

    There is no good flooring for a rental. I've tried it all and tenants can and will destroy anything you put in. What's underneath the tile?

    My number one preference in rentals is to paint wood floors with Valspar Floor Paint from Lowes. I use Brownstone (that's the color). It's a high gloss brown and about the only floor the tenants can't destroy. Yes, they'll ruin the paint job, but you can roll on a new floor in about an hour for $20-$30.

    So, if you have wood floors under the tile, I would remove the tile and paint the floor. The same for the other wood floor you were talking about. Sweep them and roll on the floor paint! It looks GREAT and is easily and cheaply replaced between tenants.

    If that won't work, then I like cheap commercial carpet from Lowes (58 cents per square foot) WITH NO PAD! Putting a pad under carpet in a rental is just asking for trouble!

    Good Luck,

    Mike

  • Property Manager · Passaic, NJ · Member since 2008 · 369 posts · 83 votes
    17y

    I usually use commercial floor tile squares and glue them down. They run about 62 cents a square foot but they hold up very well to wear and tear. You have go put the glue down, wait a few hours for it to cure then lay the tile. It is pretty indestructible and holds up well. (not peel and sticks)

  • Real Estate Investor · Myrtle creek , OR · Member since 2008 · 343 posts · 13 votes
    17y

    Hello Mike and Ingrid, thank you for your recomendations. Jim

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.