Investor · Carnegie, PA · Member since 2014 · 259 posts · 144 votes
With your units that have carpet, do you charge the cost of professional cleaning back to the tenant from their security deposit? Or is that just standard turnover costs that you assume? Wasn't sure how to approach this since it's a standard item that is done every time. Thanks!
Investor · Rock Hill, SC · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 20 votes
10y
I have a PM handle my property and they recently told me about some repairs that needed to be done, they said regular cleaning of the property and carpet cleaning can come from the security deposit (they did say the carpet cleaning coming from the security deposit was due to the higher than normal dirtiness of the carpet)
Residential Real Estate Broker · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 506 posts · 311 votes
10y
In our lease, in addition to the normal requirements for keeping the property clean, we specifically include the requirement for the tenant to provide professional carpet cleaning upon departure, receipt required and we also provide vendor contacts for a couple who do it to our standards.
These vendors will recommend any additional treatments for stains, pet odor, ozone, etc. knowing we will do these if the tenant does not choose to.
Two reasons: if they don't, its an easy defense for the charges taken from the security, and;
the cleaned carpets are much easier to evaluate for whether or not they will survive another turn.
Real Estate Agent · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y
In the states that allow it, I would do it. But I would most likely state a fee for it so I could order it myself from a company I trust, not just let them call anybody on craigslist and destroy my carpet. In NC, you cannot charge for carpet cleaning caused by normal wear and tear. And I've found if it is bad enough that it is not considered normal wear and tear, I am replacing carpet and charging tenant for their portion of that, not cleaning it.
Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 570 posts · 521 votes
10y
You can do anything you want until you're held accountable for it by a judge.
Judges frown upon landlords abusing tenants security deposits for things that are wear and tear versus damages. If you have a clause in your lease that says a tenant must have the carpets professional cleaned and they don't do it, many landlords will simply ding the security deposit for the cost of the cleaning.How long was the tenant living there? How much are you deducting? Much of this will simply never be questioned, unless you have a tenant that challenges it and you have to go before the judge.
Investor · King of Prussia, PA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 339 votes
10y
@Matt Faix Check the states law on the security deposit and talk to property management companies to see how they handle carpet issues. Recently, I deducted the cleaning expense from the deposit when the tenant didn't clean it, especially because it was not a normal wear and tear.
Investor · Carnegie, PA · Member since 2014 · 259 posts · 144 votes
10y
She's only been there for about 8 months, but does have a small dog. The carpets are getting toward end of life, and to clean them is around 300. Her deposit was $1,000. I don't think that's in our lease right now, but it sounds like it might be worth revising it to include a clause. Thanks for the help!
Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
10y
Carpet has a useable life of 3 years in most states. So if you charge a tenants deposit over carpet older than 3 years you are charging them for normal wear and tear and that will not hold up in court.
Doesn't stop a lot of landlords from putting the carpet cleaning requirement in their lease and using that to take advantage of the non-savvy tenant.
I only have carpet in rentals where it was inherited. When the carpets shot I replace with hardwood.
Real Estate Agent/Property Management · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 827 votes
10y
In Texas it would be illegal to deduct carpet cleaning from the deposit. That's considered wear and tear. Now if there's a huge stain that's a different story.
Real Estate Broker & Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 68 posts · 19 votes
10y
When I rent to my tenants, I collect a security deposit and a non-refundable cleaning fee. The cleaning fee helps subsided any cost I incur when getting the unit ready for the next tenant....also, I do not have to worry about getting in trouble with any security deposit laws.