potential tenant wants to send own credit report

potential tenant wants to send own credit report

Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2011 · 956 posts · 510 votes

Screening people for house rental, person tells me she will send proof of pay 

and  credit report from her bank. I was planning on asking for $25 to run my own. 

is this an acceptable alternative? is it the same thing? Thanks.

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Bill CriderPro Member
Lender · Georgetown, TX · Member since 2015 · 23 posts · 33 votes
10y

Always pull your own report. I have had tenants fake credit reports, pay stubs, W2s, and rent receipts. Check to phone numbers they give you as landlord and employer - ensure they are not just a buddy that agreed to answer the phone for them.  Drive by the address they list as their current address. I have had tenants list non-existent addresses and vacant, condemned houses as their current address.

Most people are honest and good. But you need to protect yourself from those who are not. An extra month's vacancy is much cheaper than a problem tenant.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2014 · 397 posts · 161 votes
    10y

    @Marci Stein There have been other forums with the same question and the main concern is that the person could create a fake credit report.  If you run a check through a service on your own that should also include a criminal and eviction check, which wouldn't be the same as just the credit report the applicant would provide you.  So I wouldn't view that as an acceptable alternative as it isn't the same thing.

  • Nathan MillerPro Member
    Property Manager · Grants Pass, OR · Member since 2009 · 429 posts · 201 votes
    10y

    I would advise against it.  If you use the credit report they supply it could be doctored.  Many people know how to change a 550 to a 750 in Photoshop these days.  Also, by accepting their self generated report from the bureau of their choice you are not treating them the same which is a potential legal issue down the road if you ever didn't allow somebody to provide their own credit reports.

    I suggest remain consistent and order your own.  Credit reports (criminal and eviction too) are inexpensive (around $15 for all three) and easy to order for both landlords and PMs.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Chicago Suburbs, IL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
    10y

    I've seen graphic designers alter pdf's and you cannot tell. 

  • Bill CriderPro Member
    Lender · Georgetown, TX · Member since 2015 · 23 posts · 33 votes
    10y

    Always pull your own report. I have had tenants fake credit reports, pay stubs, W2s, and rent receipts. Check to phone numbers they give you as landlord and employer - ensure they are not just a buddy that agreed to answer the phone for them.  Drive by the address they list as their current address. I have had tenants list non-existent addresses and vacant, condemned houses as their current address.

    Most people are honest and good. But you need to protect yourself from those who are not. An extra month's vacancy is much cheaper than a problem tenant.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.