Is DUI a reason to Reject Renter

Is DUI a reason to Reject Renter

Property Manager · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 729 posts · 596 votes

I have a prospective renter who has a recent DUI. I use the Smartmove app to screen. Does anyone know if the Smartmove flags DUI's. If the app automatically rejects because of DUI, I would not want him to waste his money. Thoughts?

0Reply
151 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
10y

Everything's relative. 

What is the neighborhood quality?

  • A neighborhood: May be pretty concerned.
  • B neighborhood: May be a little concerned.
  • C neighborhood: Not a cause for concern.
  • D neighborhood: DUI is the LEAST of your worries.
  • F neighborhood: The car he drove drunk was probably stolen.
See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Englewood, CO · Member since 2014 · 101 posts · 44 votes
    10y

    Hi @Curtis Mears

    I'm a representative with TransUnion SmartMove. SmartMove returns DUI records in states where permitted. The SmartMove recommendation is credit-based, therefore a DUI will not be factored into the recommendation. If you have any other questions please feel free to send me a note through BiggerPockets. Thanks!

  • Developer · Fayetteville · Member since 2016 · 91 posts · 57 votes
    10y

    @Curtis Mears look at it this way. If they have a DUI they are obviously not responsible enough to know to have someone drive them home...so do you really think they are responsible enough to make payments on time? Your rentals are your life line you need to make sure they are in the best possible position to fill your pockets. 

  • Darren DennisPro Member
    Flushing, NY · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Lets say you decide not to rent to someone who has a criminal record however bad or minor it may be.  I've always wondered...  What do you say to that person as the reason not to rent to them?  Is this considered discrimination?  Due to the litigious society that we live in, can a suit be brought again the landlord?  If this isn't the place to discuss this, please point me in the right direction or PM me.  

  • Property Manager · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 729 posts · 596 votes
    10y

    i have specific requirements which excludes felonies. However I have heard discussion that legislatures may try to change this.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    10y

    Unless your state landlord tenant regulations specifically require that a landlord inform a applicant of the reason for denial  a landlord never tells a applicant the reason.

    You simply state that they have not been accepted. When they demand to know why you hang up the phone.    

  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    I know you probably made your choice by now as whether to accept said tenant or not. I will say a lot of these comments are absolutely ridiculous. Especially the woman that claimed someone with a dui will not spend their money on rent but alcohol I have a misdemeanor dui and that’s affected me renting even though it was over 5 years ago but between my wife and I I have been the responsible one to pay rent on time (even before) rent was due and I also make sure every bill outside is paid. You can hide behind the facade of responsibility because you have no record yet you still overspend at the mall or buy yourself outstanding vacations. But a responsible person with a mark on his record is considered a risk and a low life is a ridiculous assumption I hope you accepted this tenant if he has his marks but still paid his rent. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.