A presumed sexual predator just tried to rent from me

A presumed sexual predator just tried to rent from me

Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Unbelievable. Besides his vague inquiry about the bg check, he was unwilling to tell me what his exact charges were. Just that they were child abuse. I asked him if it was a felony and he hemmed and hawed but wouldn't directly say it was other than saying it was 10 years ago, etc.

This tops the weirdos I've had this week. 

Second place is the lady who called wanting to run a commercial trucking business out of a residential rental with an entire fleet of 18 wheelers, admitted she pays late on rent because of their trucking business income being inconsistent (I not only put dq's in the add but every email from a prospect I go over it again to avoid the time wasters), and oh, by the way we have a pit bull....

Third place is the lady who sent me emails for the same property several times and was responded to several times and was reminded of the dq's. She never replies she just emails me for the same listing every day. It's like she's unable to tell that it's the same property she emailed before...

1Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 286 posts · 159 votes
10y

In Chicago, they send "spies" to make sure you are following fair housing laws. And it's so obvious, they send a pic of a black person and say "can I rent your apartment" and I say yes then they set up an appt to view and don't show up. 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 286 posts · 159 votes
    10y

    In Chicago, they send "spies" to make sure you are following fair housing laws. And it's so obvious, they send a pic of a black person and say "can I rent your apartment" and I say yes then they set up an appt to view and don't show up. 

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Nancy Curran:

    In Chicago, they send "spies" to make sure you are following fair housing laws. And it's so obvious, they send a pic of a black person and say "can I rent your apartment" and I say yes then they set up an appt to view and don't show up. 

     I get those calls too as a lender.

    Sure.

    No such thing. You can pay closing costs out of pocket, roll them into your loan balance, I can bump your rate, or some combination thereof. That's it. No Free Lunch.

    Sure.

    Et cetera. And it's always so random. It's like they have a list of "protected classes" in front of them, and just call up declaring themselves to be one of those. 

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    LOL me too!  One actually showed up with a clip board.  Now, how many applicants come to a showing with a clipboard?  Hmmmm, I had exactly - one!

    I can tell who they are because they never ask normal questions like - what's the parking situation?  Or where is the laundry?

    And they don't look around in the apartment, at how big the closets are or to see what type of heating it has, etc.

    They don't act like normal people looking for apartments.  They're so obvious.  And it irritated me that they would waste my time.

    It was kind of funny for them to walk by the mailboxes, though, and see every possible international surname you could imagine on the mailboxes LOL.  And if they'd ask about kids, I'd say, well, we don't have any grass and we're right on a busy street, so most people with kids aren't interested, but I do have a tenant on the first floor with a 2 year old.  Do you have kids?"

    Anyway, I never worried about passing their "inspections," but it was irritating to have my time wasted so much by them.  I guess that's the price you pay when you're in an area where there are lots of funds for fair housing spies.  Where I live now, the closest fair housing office is over 2 hours away lol.  Don't think they have to deal with that here :-)

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    I apologize if this is an ignorant question but what are DQ's?

  • Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 51 votes
    10y

    Disqualifiers

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    First place has now been awarded to the three room mates who despite the listing showing clear DQ's, and several emails where I reminded the lady who contacted me about the DQ's, show up anyway and tell me that the one room mate (I had no idea there were going to be room mates, like I said, she never mentioned it even after I brought it up in the emails as a DQ..) has his own house. He was all smug acting like he was a boss. "I have my own house, I have my own house, I'm like you". I asked him why he was selling it and moving into a rental. He then explained that, "well, ummm...I'm crashing on my cousins couch, he's renting a room with a bunch of other people in a house".

    What a poser...He was all trying to tell me what to do, the house needs, this, it needs that, etc. I declined to rent to them on the account of him. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.