I can either pay the rent or the electric bill ......

I can either pay the rent or the electric bill ......

Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes

I was just over to my garage , I was getting a refrigerator to replace a bad one . I rent a house there too . I go up to get some water out of the hose and .................nothing  ( house is on a well ) . So I go around the corner and there is a generator running  with cords going thru the window .  I check the electric in the shop ,it works so there are no wires down .  So I grab water from the neighbor to wash the fridge . 

I knock on the door and ask the tenant why the electric is off ? I hear a bunch of problems . And she tells me I can pay the rent or the electric ,but not both . 

Well ,I have bad news for you , you have to pay both , you cant live here with out water or electric  ,  so I will have to evict you , and if you dont pay the rent , the same thing . 

She goes on to tell me there is something wrong with the electric , it cost too much , its 4 to 5 hundred a month in the winter .    Now there are 5 people in the house , only the husband works , 3 late teen boys playing video games never outside , and the wife who kept the house at 80 degrees in the winter , cause she doesnt like to be cold .  they were on budget billing and had to pay up the difference  $ 1900 . 

So tomorrow I am going to be nice , they will have the rent , I am going to give them 30 days notice ,  With the condition that if the electric is restored and next months rent is paid (cashiers check) I will cancel the 30 day notice .  They are fairly good tenants , the husband works 10 hours a day and they dont have much .  He is bringing water home from work to flush toilets . 

0Reply
10 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Buena Park, CA · Member since 2016 · 743 posts · 424 votes
    10y
    "He is bringing water home from work to flush toilets",enough said.They obviously can't afford to live in your property comfortably so,it's time to go for their sales and yours.Tell them it's time to find a cheaper place to live so they can keep the utilities on everyday.Their problems are not yours so don't make them yours.Discuss this situation with your lawyer to make sure you are on firm legal grounds in your home state to prevent a lawsuit.
  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    10y

    No electric is grounds for eviction , due to no water from the well , its a health issue . 

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    I can see how people can lose track of electric with this budget billing.  They think if you set up the budget it just averages your actual use over the year but in reality a high use household won't pay enough.  Good you went over there and discovered this and your path is a good one. One tip I  can give you about this (since I just helped a friend pay her bill and get the electric back on) is that the electric company will sometime turn on for less then they say upfront so they could bargain a little to get it back on. (bringing up the well might help).   Eventually you still have to pay it though but getting it back on sooner is also good for you as the owner of the house.  An energy auditor from the electric company could also enlighten her on consumption if they do free consults in your area. If it is electric heat there is nothing wrong it just costs. And I bet that well pumping water for 3 teen showers is contributing.

    You made it clear rent and utilities must be paid so maybe someone besides Dad will go to work. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.