Full or partial repair roof & coil/duct cleaning?

Full or partial repair roof & coil/duct cleaning?

Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 82 posts · 49 votes

I purchased a 4plex that will be filled with low income tenants.

1st question:

The roof has leaks. The roof needs to be repaired, but roofer is recommending a full replacement.

The roof is flat with rolled asphalt.

I got two bids to repair.

1. To repair the roof and apply 2 layers of Elastomeric coating. The goal would be to have to roof last at least another 3 years to save up for full replacement. $4k.

2. Fully replace the roof. $12k.

I am looking for recommendations on which path to take. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd question:

3 of the 4 units have very dirty coils and ducts. The AC guy recommended just leaving them dirty and then deal with it when you replace the units as they were 15+ years old.

My thought is to have at a minimum the coils cleans to help make the AC units last as long as possible.

FYI, tenants pay the AC bill

Should I clean the coils, ducts or just wait until the units die?

0Reply
14 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · LaGrange GA · Member since 2014 · 121 posts · 55 votes
    10y

    Sounds like you have some CAPEX coming up. Obviously if cash wasn't a concern you would just replace the roof and be good for 10 years (or whatever the life expectancy is). Considering that the repair is 33% of the replacement, I would replace the roof completely and be done with it until the next replacement interval.

    As for the coil cleaning, how much is it? This would be a gamble, but probably the cost of maintenance will be a drop in the bucket in comparison to new AC units. I would get those serviced as well, hopefully giving you a few years.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.