• Aurora, CO
Votes |
taking landlord to court over bed bugs and other major things

James Mccarthy
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Aurora, CO
Posted Aug 28 2016, 03:44

Hi all,

I have been a resident for 4 years and there is a lot of work as far as paint, carpet etc. that needs done to get ready for a new tenant It was pretty much trash when I moved in and mentioned so on the checklist but nothing is really covered in the normal wear and tear. The place has bed bugs, roaches, trash everywhere, countless dv's instances. There was even a murder across the street. I have tried to move out and refused to sign the lease for another year, after a few months my rent jumped from 950 to 1500-1600 on a month to month if I didn't sign a new lease. So I signed for another year to get lease down to 1200. I have video's of bugs, reported everything from the bugs to drug needles in the kids playground, and can prove there was a murder across the street just off the property. I have 8 months left and just can't take it anymore. To break the lease its a 3 thousand dollar fee, plus whatever they will charge on top of that. I talked to them about wear and tear and they said they will charge me for everything, carpet, paint. They say its policy.

My question is, I need out and if I have to take them to court, is this at my expense, will this be on my record and make me homeless? What can I do in this instance? I know the cost will be 1500 to replace all carpet, flooring, and paint if I do it on my own, if I let them I know it will be 3-5 times that amount. Every Month someone is evicted here and all of there belongings are all over the property, dumpsters, halls, parking lot etc. I really don't know what my options are here. Also if you watch the videos, for some reason I could not edit out the f-bomb in the last few seconds. I am just talking to myself as I was very disgusted with this. Any rate any advise is greatly appreciated, as I do have a family, I desperately need to move, I am stuck. I don't want to be the reason my family is homeless. I need to know if I am hurting myself is this goes to court. Thanks.

dropbox photo and video example

Loading replies...