Just a few hours before I serve a 3 day pay or vacate notice

Just a few hours before I serve a 3 day pay or vacate notice

Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

It's times like these that I'm thankful to insist upon first/last/deposit and only do monthly leases anyways. 

Tenant has been nothing but a problem since moving in. Made up claims and accusations, that upon professional inspection turned out to be baseless. 

Now here we are, the due date/grace period for rent was yesterday. Of course banks were closed but they could have paid Saturday or any number of other days the bank was open.

So I email them and ask that if they have paid to disregard my email but if they have not, since rent was now late (I only accept rent deposited in a business checking account) to include the $25 late fee ($15 general late fee + $10 per day late). She replies, "No problem" and that's that.

Well, these people have yet to pay today. Looks like in a few hours I'll be stopping by to serve them their notice. Sigh, I may very well just ask them to move out at the end of the month anyways even if they do pony up the money. Nothing but problems from these people from the beginning and I don't imagine it getting better.

0Reply
11 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Reno, NV · Member since 2016 · 328 posts · 97 votes
    10y

    m2m rental? I would have ended it at the first or second sign of trouble.

  • Cary, NC · Member since 2014 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Hi Jack,

    I know the feeling, as I am going through the same with one of my tenant.  He calls me this Friday 7:45 am to come fix the AC; he stated that he was sick and it was getting hot etc., did I mention that we were going through the storm and long weekend.  I let my AC guy know who was nice enough to go there and fix it... all he did was reset the power.  

    I told the guy that I have home warranty and can get someone to come Tuesday, but no he wanted the person as soon as possible, so paid the AC guy from my own pocket :(

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.