Rental 2-3 Units in Burlington, NJ Area

Rental 2-3 Units in Burlington, NJ Area

Real Estate Agent · JACKSON HEIGHTS, NY 11370 · Member since 2012 · 11 posts · 4 votes

Hello All!

I've been on the side lines for a very long time now and I finally made up my mind on what and where I start my investments. I'm looking into investment rentals in the Burlington/Mercer County areas in New Jersey. I live and work in NYC as a real estate agent, but I'm familiar with those areas.

I've talked to realtors in the area about some properties, but I know have more questions than answers. If anyone can answer all or some of my questions that would help me out.

Questions:

Who normally pays for water/sewer? (tenant/owner)

Does the county/city inspect the properties yearly if they are rented? What is the fee?

Any other fees, inspections or issues that may come up with the town?

Is it advisable to have an attorney review or be involved with the transaction? In NYC we use real estate attorneys for both sides.

 If there are other forums  related to my questions, please direct me there.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

0Reply
21 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Yardley, PA · Member since 2012 · 436 posts · 198 votes
    10y

    I invest in Mercer County.   There are. Alot of nuances as far as who pays water etc.   Trenton is $115 per year landlord license.   Sale inspection is $200.  Mercer County down is usually handled by a title company.  Please feel free to.reach out to me with questions.  We buy and hold as well as manage, fix and flip in mercer county.  

  • Real Estate Agent · JACKSON HEIGHTS, NY 11370 · Member since 2012 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Stephen thank you for the info. Now I have more questions.

    What exactly is a landlord license?

    Sale inspection is the town inspecting prior to the sale?

    One realtor told me the tenant pays for water sewer and another said the landlord pays. I guess it's how the lease is structured? 

  • Investor · Trenton, NJ · Member since 2016 · 67 posts · 22 votes
    10y

    Vic there are two things you must get one is Certificate of Housing Code Compliance, it is to make sure that the house is in complies with the current regulations which is $200 plus additional $25 for each extra unit in the house. It is needed when prior to change of ownership of property. There is also Non-Occupant Owner License which costs $125. As far who pays what it depends on the lease. 

  • Real Estate Agent · JACKSON HEIGHTS, NY 11370 · Member since 2012 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Erik thank you for the added info. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.