Seek payment for remainder of Lease after evicting

Seek payment for remainder of Lease after evicting

Real Estate Investor · Bayou Vista, TX · Member since 2008 · 58 posts · 8 votes

Well I had to file my first eviction yesterday. Went really well the lady at the JP office pointed a few things I missed on the form out. I have given this tenent lots of chances and he is just a lier. Should I seek anything for the remaining 5 months that are left of the lease or just get him out and cut my losses?

Chris

0Reply
26 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    17y

    If your part of TX is like mine, you should have no trouble of getting a sfr re-rented. You can spend a lot of money chasing tenants and they may have nothing when you finally get them. I normally just consider it a cost of doing business. I'm pretty jaded at this point in time. I've quit believing or trusting my tenants to tell the truth. My lease grabs them by the _uts, if you know what I mean. Instant late charges and 3 day notice. I don't mess around at all. Good luck. Rich.

  • Real Estate Broker · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    17y

    I think you need to be careful when going after tenants - as for me - I am glad when they are gone and I can move on.

    Going after them is more then a double edged sword - you will spend a lot of time/money/effort doing this (or in hiring someone to do it) and as Rich said you may get nothing.

    You may also get a someone who is revengeful and comes back to your property and causes problems - you may get your satisfaction of getting the rest of your $$ but they may be the satisfaction of knowing they cost you more.

    About the only thing I will consider these days is a note on their credit report if who you use allows you to do that - but I think that moving on and not messing around as Rich suggested is the best.

  • Real Estate Investor · Bayou Vista, TX · Member since 2008 · 58 posts · 8 votes
    17y

    Thanks. I went by today and they have a tailor out front! Hopefully they get out even before our court date. I am going to chock this one up to a lesson.

    Chris

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    They probably want to look good in court! LOL!

    Mike

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.